No more alcohol of any kind on any waters - Mountain Buzz

View Poll Results: How much would you boat if alcohol was banned?
The same 99 80.49%
A little less 11 8.94%
A lot less 9 7.32%
None 4 3.25%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-29-2015   #1

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
No more alcohol of any kind on any waters

I don't drink myself. I laughed when another boater said to me, "man, I didn't know you could boat without beer". Everyone knows how essential of a food-group alcohol is on the river but I wondered if there is anyone that would actually stop boating if no alcohol was allowed on the water, INCLUDING CAMP.

ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2015   #2

NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 68
Gave it up a few years back and never looked back. Halved my cooler space and halved my ice load. Cut the garbage by a factor of three.
garyherballeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015   #3

Nye, Montana
Paddling Since: 2012
If booze was banned on all waters then that would mean the nanny state wasin full effect and that I would be plotting and scheming ways to overthrow government from a remote Alaskan cabin-tin foil hat would be firmly placed on head.
Mattchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2015   #4

permits would be easier to get.
panicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015   #5

Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Never happen, beverage industry lobbyists out number FS + BLM + NPS field staff combined.
Plecoptera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015   #6

San Jose, CA, California
Paddling Since: 1998
While I am not for a prohibition, I do think it is worth noting that many of the rafting accidents in the grand canyon happen when folks are drinking.

As is such, the 50-100 cases of beer at Lees for the 16 day trip style can increase the risk of accidents for the folks that are trying to drink all that beer and perhaps the folks that are trying to keep them safe.

My biggest fear on such trips is that someone will fall into the river at camp while drunk at night and be unable to help them selfs or ask for help for others.
buckmanriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015   #7

montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plecoptera View Post
Never happen, beverage industry lobbyists out number FS + BLM + NPS field staff combined.
Uh, I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of FS, BLM, and NPS field staff support the drinking of alcohol on the river.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015   #8

montrose, Colorado
An interesting thought: I have known more than one person who had to distance themselves from river trips because the amount of drinking that goes on did not go well with recovery from alcohol addiction.

I like to have some beers on the river, but for some, dry trips might increase the amount of boating that they would do.
Old 11-30-2015   #9

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
Here is a thought. Take responsibility for your own actions. If you don't want to drink than don't drink. If you want to drink than drink. Don't infringe on the rights of other people. If you are a recovering drunk hang out with people that don't drink. Why does everyone always have to find someone besides them selves to blame their problems on?
curtis catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015   #10

montrose, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis catman View Post
Here is a thought. Take responsibility for your own actions. If you don't want to drink than don't drink. If you want to drink than drink. Don't infringe on the rights of other people. If you are a recovering drunk hang out with people that don't drink. Why does everyone always have to find someone besides them selves to blame their problems on?
Huh, must have struck a nerve...

I suppose that I may also get a knee-jerk, negative response when I suggest that anyone who isn't an asshole would be supportive and understanding towards a friend who is going through a battle with addiction.

Infringing on the rights of others and blaming your problems on someone else were not stated nor implied in my previous post. I wonder what made you take it that way?