New to pins and clips questions - Mountain Buzz

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
New to pins and clips questions

I bought a small cataraft last year outfitted with pins and clips ect. I know nothing about them other than one ear cones off to easy and the other I damn near have to beat on and off. I did take them apart and I light sanded with 600 grit and oiled I guess the pin part and sleeve. So do you physically bend the clip part to get the right tension or are one or the other (sleeve, clip) worn to cause this? Thanks Charlie

Pinchecharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
The clip should slide easily on and off the pin with a minimum of friction, you can take a tire iron or crow bar and spread the clip. Or conversely, hammer it shut. IMHO the best oar system available, I can and do row both depending on what boat I'm in though.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Yes the oar should slide fairly easily off the pin or you defeat the purpose of the pin and clip assembly. If you take a strike to the end of the oar, the oar should pop out of the pin so you don't break or damage your oar, than slam that oar back onto the pin, ready for action. This doesn't pertain to you, but I have seen a couple boater's new to the pin's and clip set, to install the opening of the clip toward the handle. Crow bar or tire iron work good. Have fun with your new boat.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Thanks I figured it was meant to be loser than tighter. Just how loose though...I guess is experience right. I've been practicing flipping it and it's a struggle since iam a small boy sized man (140lbs wet) it's harder I think with a loose oar and I have these oar tethers (where on there with boat) and they get all fubar and bound . Just for fun- I heard a guy say you should be re flipped and in your seat and ready to row in 45 seconds or so. Well...I had to frog kick the thing into a eddy cause I couldn't get it over a couple times and good for me was freaking minutes lol. Flatwater of course. Anyway any insight to the whole shebang with that and or tips on the set up with tethers. I've seen a bungie cord style used before too? Mine have metal rings and a snap buckle in the middle. Thanks happy monday
Pinchecharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5

C. Springs, Colorado
If you get them too tight....when they strike a rock they will load up with energy and come shooting out at you like a bullet. Loose enough to keep them from coming out under normal rowing conditions but not tight enough to become a projectile.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6

Woodland Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I think looser is better, especially for newbies and shallower rivers. I didn't check one of mine last year on the Middle Fork Salmon. Wedge it between shallow rocks and snapped the blade.
JustinJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchecharlie View Post
I've been practicing flipping it and it's a struggle since iam a small boy sized man (140lbs wet) it's harder I think with a loose oar and I have these oar tethers (where on there with boat) and they get all fubar and bound . Just for fun- I heard a guy say you should be re flipped and in your seat and ready to row in 45 seconds or so.

You don't have enough lead in your ass. Start a strict boaters diet of pizza and beer, you'll gain enough weight to get that mother back over in no time LOL

Just a slight friction is all you need, you should be able to pull it off the thole pin with one hand easily, and stab it back just as easily
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Some good discussion of P&C setup in this vid from Friday:
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9

Defiance, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Tight enough that you cant pull it off with one hand, loose enough that a firm tug with two hands brings it loose.

I always made sure my oar tethers stopped the oar handle just short of my face so that if it loaded up and came shooting off for some reason, it didn't knock out any more of my teeth.
noahfecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #10

Salida, Colorado
Wow, I watched about 10 minutes of that babble and lost interest after the first 3 minutes,then clicked off.. If they had something good to say, it musta been buried..