"bouancy and rigidity never achieved in the raft world"

Great comedy, I mean commentary.

shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2013   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Pretty sure once that floor is installed, the raft no longer self-bails.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013   #3
swimming

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
How do I get that 10 minutes of my life back after that video,love the oars and the special oar holder. I am sure they have a purpose but those things just stink of cheap crap attached to the raft. There is a fly fishing forum in washington I was browsing through and they seem to love them. I have never seen a scadden on a real river trip or any where I boat for that matter. Seem to be more prevalent out west with the fishermen.
Riverbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2013   #4

B'ingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 2008
You're right. My dad has two scadden pontoons, an 11 and 13 footer. He's modified both of them to make them wider and added a platform that makes it easy to river scour but mostly for fishing. I think the biggest water they've seen is the deschutes and we've taken then down a few multi day grand ronde trips. I think honestly the main thing I would say about them is that the quality of the material that protects the tubes is not up to par with the quality of day NRS or Aire tubes. I don't think they could handle a tenchnical run with a lot of rocks like Gore or big water like the Lochsa as well though.
KennytheJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013   #5

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Eeew Gross!!
Old 11-23-2013   #6

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
High pressure floor

That style of floor is great in my NRS Outlaw IK.
cmharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013   #7

Boise, Idahoer
Paddling Since: 2011
I did a fall season Middle Fork trip (@1.69cfs) and one of the guys had a 2 person fishing cat (Bucks Bags, maybe) that had been modified to use real oars and a plywood deck in back to attach gear. I think it's capacity was 600 or 700 pounds. It was the best rig for the river, at those low flows. The 16 foot rafts were hung up all the time, and my kayak is too small to carry (enough) beer.
I've been looking for one on CL, found a couple, but the fisherfolks are (apparently) really proud of them, and want a grand or two for 'em, geez! Figured it would be great for a solo tripper boat - light enough to drag through the shallows, with enough room to bring beer.
Scadden is really pushing it though to claim that his raft is hugely popular with the recreational whitewater community!
I've never seen one of his rafts or fishing cats around here, but I'd like to run one of those little 9 foot fishing cats down the Main Payette just for shits and giggles as long as I wasn't responsible for any breakage!
D-Sieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013   #8

Derby, Connecticut
Paddling Since: 1975
I kinda like that idea of the oar lock system requiring no frame, would be interested in how that holds up over time....
Old 11-23-2013   #9

Florence, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
RMR is possibly trying the drop stitch floor (see thread running at this time). I have an older Sea Eagle Explorer for about the right price- $75 on CL. Sick of the low pressure floor and crappy seat, I put a drop stitch floor from a solo NRS Outlaw in it and a Cheetah chair. Getting something better in the short term, but plan on keeping it for friends, wife, etc on easier 2-3 stuff. Ex and I had an Avon 14' so familiar with rafts and I beam floor.
Could not believe the difference in handling. It really did slide across the water. The older floor closed off my added holes for self bailing. Now it bails like a dream, although additional holes to mount the cheetah chair may be the reason.
So the drop floor is an interesting idea. If its true RMR is doing it too, we'll see how it works in a real whitewater boat.
As far as the oar mounts, just can't see kicking through Sunshine Falls etc in them.
formerflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013   #10

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Sieve View Post
I did a fall season Middle Fork trip (@1.69cfs) and one of the guys had a 2 person fishing cat (Bucks Bags, maybe) that had been modified to use real oars and a plywood deck in back to attach gear. I think it's capacity was 600 or 700 pounds. It was the best rig for the river, at those low flows. The 16 foot rafts were hung up all the time, and my kayak is too small to carry (enough) beer.
I've been looking for one on CL, found a couple, but the fisherfolks are (apparently) really proud of them, and want a grand or two for 'em, geez! Figured it would be great for a solo tripper boat - light enough to drag through the shallows, with enough room to bring beer.
Scadden is really pushing it though to claim that his raft is hugely popular with the recreational whitewater community!
I've never seen one of his rafts or fishing cats around here, but I'd like to run one of those little 9 foot fishing cats down the Main Payette just for shits and giggles as long as I wasn't responsible for any breakage!
I learned to raft with a 10 ft. Outcast PAC 1000 fishing cat. Started running Alpine Canyon/Split Mountain/Green River etc. in that little cat and it was a blast. But after I started doing multi-day trips, and after I crashed & burned in Moonshine rapid at high water, I decided to get a "real" cataraft. I still have my Outcast. It's perfect for fishing on the Green below Flaming Gorge, and can handle a weekend trip if you go backpacker style. It has tubes made by Aire, with Leafield valves, and the frame is sturdy with real oar towers. I use Cataract Mini-Magnum oars on mine. We saw a herd of these on the Middle Fork a few years ago (with raft support). We talked to them at the take-out and they said they had a great time, but they had all flipped at least once during the week.

I have seen the Scadden boats at the Spotsmans Expo. The fabric didn't look very heavy duty, Halkey Roberts valves, maybe glued PVC, not sure? I didn't have a conversation with Dave, as he was busy pitching his products, and I didn't want to get into an argument with a vendor at the Expo. If you want a lightweight fishing rig for class I-II, for a little less money (? Can't find prices on his website), then these boats might be a good fit. No way would I take them above class II without a frame & real oar stands. With a real frame.....maybe? "Hugely popular in the recreational whitewater arena." I don't think so.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote