New Raft and Frame questions. - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-03-2012   #1

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: 2000
New Raft and Frame questions.

I am looking at buying a new raft. I want a bailer and my budget isnt real big. I was wondering which boats to look at. I am considering Rocky Mountain Rafts, Maxxon, Odyssey, and maybe Saturn. Which one would be the best choice? I know there are a lot of people who dont like the cheaper boats but they would probably all work well enough for what me and my family do. i am interested in getting a little more adventurous though.

As far as frames, i like the NRS frames but know there are better and maybe cheaper options out there. Mostly need a rowing frame with spots for a cooler and/or drybox and some seating. Not so much a fishing setup. Thanks for any help i get.

mtfunfloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2012   #2

Cottonwood, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1980
Rocky Mountain boats are fine for a first raft as are NRS frames.
AZJefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
What "isn't a real big budget"? A used set up may be the way to go as you can get everything you want and perhaps higher quality.
boldtwatermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2012   #4

Great Falls, Montana
2500 is about it. Havent seen any deals out there yet, been looking around here in MT as shipping or driving too far to get a raft is spendy as well. Might not get frame this year or I may build a frame. I have some welders at my disposal so I might copy a few frame ideas and make my own with the features i want and a little cheaper.
Old 06-03-2012   #5

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtfunfloater
I am looking at buying a new raft. I want a bailer and my budget isnt real big. I was wondering which boats to look at. I am considering Rocky Mountain Rafts, Maxxon, Odyssey, and maybe Saturn. Which one would be the best choice? I know there are a lot of people who dont like the cheaper boats but they would probably all work well enough for what me and my family do. i am interested in getting a little more adventurous though.

As far as frames, i like the NRS frames but know there are better and maybe cheaper options out there. Mostly need a rowing frame with spots for a cooler and/or drybox and some seating. Not so much a fishing setup. Thanks for any help i get.
Do you want the raft as a gear/Oar setup or are you planning on paddling a lot? Reason i ask is i switched to catarafting several years ago when i realized a reliable paddle crew is an oxymoron. To the point i've said eff trying to gather a crew i can have as much fun on my own

You can do a cataraft rowing setup for about 75% the cost of a self bailer if you include the frame and oar cost. And you can rig them pretty nice. The thing i like is you are more self sufficient and can take a little higher class of rapids without worrying about the consequences
Old 06-03-2012   #6

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Oh. And if you go with a cat, a 16' will support a wife and two smaller kids nicely.
Old 06-04-2012   #7
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
With the family and kids I would stick with round boats for the barrier from the tubes.

mtfunfloater, if $2500 your limit you have two choices. If you want to go new Saturn raft will run you around $1300, RMR rafts will be close to 2k and I am not sure about the others you listed. These are great start rafts. You can find plenty of hate talk about these boats, but for starters these boats will last you as long as big names. I've seen a few of them in action.

If you don't have any gear at all, then used is your better choice. Right now is not the best time to buy a rig. If you have time and patience, you can land a great deal when people are getting out of sport. You would get much more for your buck than a cheapo brand new boat. Mtnbuzz classifieds, craiglist, nrsweb.com swap are great places to look for a deal.

Starting with a cheapo boat and then building your own dream rig in 2-3 years will be much more rewarding than dishing out cash for something expensive and then having a buyers remorse because you wanted to do something different.

Alex
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012   #8
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
You mentioned NRS frame. NRS makes a few different frames. Since you mentioned family, I assume you have kids that will be coming with you.

A word of advice, if you make it comfy for the mama and the kidos, you will be a happy captain!

Your kids won't sit still, they will be running all over the place. NRS single tube frames are ankle breakers! Single tube is nice for quick breakdown and light weight, but they are horrible to walk on. If you go with a single tube, grab some 1x6 and lay the platforms down with a strap. Another option is to go with a double tube on sides or diamond plating.

A cooler in a frame is another ankle breaker. Coolers rotate when you stand on it, make sure to pick up the NRS cooler straps with L shape angles which will keep the cooler from rotating side to side.

I am full of advice about boating with family, things I've learned from many other rafters from this forum and the trips over the years, if you care to listen, hahaah.

Alex
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012   #9
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
IMO... Spend your whole budget on the best boat you can get and build a sweet retro frame out of 2x12s and run that until you can afford a better one.
Old 06-04-2012   #10

Great Falls, Montana
Getting the best for my money is my plan, just not sure which is better. I wil keep looking for a great used raft but if i buy new which one do i buy- Rocky Mountain Rafts, Maxxon, Odyssey, and maybe Saturn? Which is the best buy for the money? The welded seams on the RMR seem like the best boat in that range but i have only been around the higher end rafts and no way i can afford those. I am holding out for a bailer though no matter what. Thanks