New NRS Line of Rafts? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-19-2013   #1

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
New NRS Line of Rafts?

Anyone have any intel on the NRS "Patriot" rafts? They appear to be the new "entry level" offering to replace the revolutions fabric inflatables - except they don't appear to be making cataraft tubes out of this material. They are big and wide for their size, with 4 chambers instead of 3 (like the revolution boats).

NRS Patriot 140 Self-Bailing Raft at NRSweb.com

MATERIAL (xr-Mariner http://www.xr-mariner.com/downloads/case-histories/ch1.pdf) is made in the USA, I assume that they are assembled out of the country. I have never (knowingly) seen this material, but it sounds closer to hypalon than PVC or Urethane derivatives. But as heavy as PVC (122 lbs for a 14")

Advertisement

Old 06-19-2013   #2

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
El Patriota!
Old 06-19-2013   #3

Portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
El Patriota!
They launched the line on Cinco De Mayo.
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2013   #4

Kernville, California
Paddling Since: 1975
Quote:
Originally Posted by laterwagged View Post
Anyone have any intel on the NRS "Patriot" rafts? They appear to be the new "entry level" offering to replace the revolutions fabric inflatables - except they don't appear to be making cataraft tubes out of this material. They are big and wide for their size, with 4 chambers instead of 3 (like the revolution boats).

NRS Patriot 140 Self-Bailing Raft at NRSweb.com

MATERIAL (xr-Mariner http://www.xr-mariner.com/downloads/case-histories/ch1.pdf) is made in the USA, I assume that they are assembled out of the country. I have never (knowingly) seen this material, but it sounds closer to hypalon than PVC or Urethane derivatives. But as heavy as PVC (122 lbs for a 14")
The base fabric is coated with DuPont™ Elvaloy® compound, which is PVC. Also, based on NRS' product description, they still have 3 main chambers.
Hyside Inflatables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013   #5

Poundtown, Wokastan
Paddling Since: 420
I think I'll wait a couple years for NRS to discontinue the line and drop the price to half of what it is today. o.O wait that was the revolution series.
Old 06-19-2013   #6

Portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyside Inflatables View Post
The base fabric is coated with DuPont™ Elvaloy® compound, which is PVC. Also, based on NRS' product description, they still have 3 main chambers.
I see, PVC explains the weight. I just got the chamber count from the pictures. Reading is no longer a useful skill in the age of the internet.
Old 06-19-2013   #7

Kernville, California
XR-Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by laterwagged View Post
I see, PVC explains the weight. I just got the chamber count from the pictures. Reading is no longer a useful skill in the age of the internet.
Yep, Google is the new library. That XR-Mariner fabric has been out for years. I'd like to see some accelerated weather testing to support their claim of "blowing Hypalon out of the water". Our 30 years of field testing speaks for itself. I guess private boaters will be the guinea pig...once again as dirtbagkayaker mentioned!
Old 06-19-2013   #8

Poundtown, Wokastan
Paddling Since: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyside Inflatables View Post
I guess private boaters will be the guinea pig...once again as dirtbagkayaker mentioned!
@ Hyside

I also like how NRS sneaks in "Made in the USA" on this product. I wonder if the whole boat was made in the USA or if the coating was shipped from USA to Korea and the boat was made there too.
Old 06-19-2013   #9

Portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
@ Hyside

I also like how NRS sneaks in "Made in the USA" on this product. I wonder if the whole boat was made in the USA or if the coating was shipped from USA to Korea and the boat was made there too.
I think its pretty clear that the material is made in the USA, not the boat. But something is better than nothing.
Old 06-19-2013   #10

Kernville, California
Made in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
@ Hyside

Yeah, Made in the USA is always a great pitch. You even see "Designed in the USA"...get it in anyway you can!

NRS' factory is in Mexico and the fabric for these boats, according to the description, is made in the USA. But, "American fabric, assembled in Mexico", doesn't have the best ring to it.

Our boats have been made in the same factory in South Korea, for over 30 years. Everything is done "in house", no outsourcing, including the fabric.