New Lighter Aire - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 11-27-2017   #1

Grass Valley, California
Paddling Since: 1995
New Lighter Aire

Was window shopping Aire today. Saw the new lighter fabric and the 143 R's are a lot lighter. I have an older 143 R 2002- bought it used in 2006. It is an awesome boat and I have had a lot of great trips on it. It is heavy for my wife and I to carry to and from the truck, and now with two small children it means I am usually setting up the boat( carrying it) while she manages kids.

Does anyone have a new Aire with the new lighter fabric and have any reviews?

fcpnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2017   #2

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
My Aire 136DD that I bought last spring is the new fabric. They have never made my boat with any other fabric so its hard to say if it would make a big difference. It seems to be holding up just fine though. If my search is correct, it looks like the 143R used to be 146lbs and is now 115lbs, which is indeed a noticeable difference. I don't have anything to base it on since this is my first Aire, but I definitely haven't been holding back and its doing just fine. The people at Aire are a "Friend of a friend" and that friend says they have been testing the new fabric for a year or two with good results and they swear it will hold up just as well.

Now...is it worth selling your old boat and getting a new one just for that...its hard to say. Might be nice to have the comfort of the bombproof Aire warranty though.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017   #3
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Even if it doesn't hold up, you still would have 10 years in which Aire would make it right for you, I don't think any other raft company stands behind their stuff the way Aire does.
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2017   #4

New Lighter Aire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post
Even if it doesn't hold up, you still would have 10 years in which Aire would make it right for you, I don't think any other raft company stands behind their stuff the way Aire does.

Hyside also has a 10 year warranty but chances of using that are highly unlikely!! My new one is ordered and on the way and will be around for 30 years easy
mkashzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017   #5

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkashzg View Post
Hyside also has a 10 year warranty but chances of using that are highly unlikely!! My new one is ordered and on the way and will be around for 30 years easy
Are you sure about that? I tried to get some warranty work taken care of (seam glue issues) through Hyside about 2 years ago, and I was informed that my boat was out of warranty. It was about 6 years old at that point, and is an outfitter model. I was told that the warranty was only 5 years. Aire has the best customer service of any company I have experienced. Hyside... Not so much.
Floatin mucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017   #6

If your Hyside was used by an outfitter I am pretty sure the warranty is 5 years, similar to most other companies. I have seen very few Aire's used commercially so not sure how they operate.
Old 11-28-2017   #7

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
A Hyside outfitter is a model they make, not one used by a outfitter.
Old 11-28-2017   #8

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkashzg View Post
5 year warranty on hysides https://hyside.com/hyside-owners-manual.pdf

just on materials and workmanship too. Aire's warranty is "no-fault", damage caused by rocks, rodents, or dragging it down the road if it comes off the trailer are all covered.
Grifgav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
A Hyside outfitter is a model they make, not one used by a outfitter.
I am well aware of that, but thanks. I was guessing since he had that boat it may have been used commercially as most don't buy one otherwise as it's usually over kill unless used daily.
Old 11-28-2017   #10

I stand corrected on the warranty information for Hyside. A 10 year no questions asked warranty for Aire is amazing! Sorry for hijacking your thread.

Tags
aire