New Firepan Option - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 1 Week Ago   #1

Durango, Colorado
New Firepan Option

Hey all,
I hope it's ok that I post this here. We (Nightfall) are super excited to introduce our new firepan. Nightfall is primarily an overland/van directed company but I think our new firepan works well for river users as well. I am a co-owner of the company and have been a boater of all sorts for quite a while. Let me know what you think. It's definitely an out of the box in design but it works well for grilling and DO's alike.

Helios Firepan Nightfall Overland

greenwater780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Good looking pan. Good idea.

Have you gotten them blazing hot yet, or is it a lighter duty pan? Much warpage? If so how does warpage affect assembly? It looks like the bottom could have issues staying in if it got warped much.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3

Durango, Colorado
Yes we have had some hot fires for testing. The floor floats, so warpage is less of a problem. We have adjusted the length of the tabs (in thousands of an inch several times) for optimal performance to prevent problems. This sucker is solid. Obviously metal is a fluid and moves around when it get's hot enough. That's a design concern we have mitigated. Hopefully. (Is there a wink emoji here?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
It does look solid the way the ends all slide together. Makes sense that only being attached at the tabs would help with warpage.

Grill options? As you know, that's a necessity for a raft firepan.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Yeah, I gotta cook brauts. On the website they have a grill option in the drop down menu. I'm intrigued.

Zach,

I was at DRE recently with my kids. They had a bunch of Rapid Rungs there setup and they were climbing in and out of boats incessantly on your device. I guess I'm needing to buy one of those soon...
theusualsuspect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6

Durango, Colorado
We have both a stainless steel grill and a mild steel grill. Stainless if you don't want to have any fuss and mild steel if you like to season your steel like cast iron for non-stick properties. The pan itself is actually pre-oiled by hand so you can toss it in the oven when you get it to season it. (we have instructions) Helps with rust and ash tends to cling less during clean up.
Old 1 Day Ago   #7

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Nice design, I've been looking for an alternative to the clunkers for a while now.

Is the fire pan made of stainless steel? Or just the grill?
Old 12 Hours Ago   #8

Durango, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Nice design, I've been looking for an alternative to the clunkers for a while now.

Is the fire pan made of stainless steel? Or just the grill?

At this point just the grill. We can do the whole thing in stainless but the price is pretty high. One thing to consider is that we pre-oil each firepan (vegetable shortening) so that you can pop it in your oven when you get it and season the whole thing. Cast iron style. It works great and goes a long way toward keeping the firepan rust free. Also makes ash clean up easier.
Old 7 Hours Ago   #9

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwater780 View Post
At this point just the grill. We can do the whole thing in stainless but the price is pretty high. One thing to consider is that we pre-oil each firepan (vegetable shortening) so that you can pop it in your oven when you get it and season the whole thing. Cast iron style. It works great and goes a long way toward keeping the firepan rust free. Also makes ash clean up easier.
Right on. I looked into having one made from a Beryllium / Aluminum alloy, which is good for high temps, a few years back. It was way too expensive. Spacex was buying up all the Beryl Aluminum for their rocket boosters.
Old 3 Hours Ago   #10

Cortez, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwater780 View Post
Yes we have had some hot fires for testing. The floor floats, so warpage is less of a problem. We have adjusted the length of the tabs (in thousands of an inch several times) for optimal performance to prevent problems. This sucker is solid. Obviously metal is a fluid and moves around when it get's hot enough. That's a design concern we have mitigated. Hopefully. (Is there a wink emoji here?)

Yes, as others have said - looks like a solid design and your comment about adjusting the tabs shows you are trying to anticipate the effects of heat, etc. What I wonder about is the snugness of the fit between the tabs and their slots. It seems to me that with repeated heating and other abuse, those tabs will end up slightly out of alignment with the slots, making assembly a bit harder - but if the slots were made slightly sloppy to begin with, I think the assembly would remain pretty easy (as in your video) for a long time. And of course, the user can tweak the tabs or enlarge the slots, if needed. My "lay-observation". Thoughts?
grumper13 is online now   Reply With Quote