new drybox dimensions for Aire 160DD?? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-01-2016   #1

boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
new drybox dimensions for Aire 160DD??

Hi Y'all,

I am having a frame and drybox made for me by DownRiver in Denver. I love the guys and trust them since they have made thousands of frames and dryboxes but I am stumped. I was told that my new Aire 160 DD can only accommodate a 12" high drybox. As is was explained to me, the floor is very high and that is why it can only handle that depth. It is about 25% smaller than the drybox on my 15 ft. Can anyone help corroborate this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2016   #2

Louisville, Colorado
Congrats on the new boat! I suppose the height of the dry box would depend on how high you'd want it to stick up above the tubes. If you are sitting on it you'd need to adjust your our towers accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016   #3

Window Shade City, Out of Breath
Paddling Since: 2007
Basically yes.

I bought a 16' double d two years ago and went through the same process. I had a custom frame and dry boxes made. I really like the boat for a variety of reasons, but I was really disappointed by how different the actual specs were compared to what AIRE claimed they would be.

Before ordering my boxes and frame, I inflated the boat and took measurements. This helped me realize the specs were off and I ordered my boxes/frame based on the new measurements. What I should have done, and what you should do, is take the raft to a lake and see how much the the specs change when you float it. The floor gets pushed up a ton, way more than other makes/models. Borrow someone's frame that will roughly fit your boat, borrow their boxes/coolers and fill them with water to simulate the weight of carrying the weight of a multi-day trip. Then take your final measurements.

Because I didn't do this, I had to fashion 3 inch shims to go under the tabs of my dry box to lift it off the floor. I also have similar problems with my captain's box. I also had to raise my already tall cooler, which is my seat. That of course required me to raise my oar towers. It is a cascading effect that could have been avoided if I had taken measurements in the water with weight on the boat. I've been able to mitigate some of my issues, but when you are spending that much money to pimp out a new boat, it's worth it to be patient and get it done right.

Lastly, I emailed AIRE about major difference in their specs vs actual and suggested they update them so people don't make the same mistakes I did. To my dismay, they never did. I think it makes the AIRE look better on paper to the competition then it actually is, which is why they probably didn't change it. I'm still happy with the boat, but wish things had gone differently for me.

Good Luck!!!!!
windriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2016   #4
swimming

Coastal, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1987
We only do frames on Aire boats if we have them at our shop. The frames are fitted to each boat because of differences in specs. A raft is not a precision manufactured item. It is also the reason we have about 20 different size dryboxes in stock,instead of trying to make the common size work and throwing off all the geometry putting you way up in the air we build to the boat and rower instead of forcing a boat to a frame.
GreenWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016   #5

Window Shade City, Out of Breath
Paddling Since: 2007
GreenWall -

I like your philosophy and wish I had been more patient and taken your approach.

Although the raft manufacturing process will cause some degree of variability, it's unacceptable to advertise a range of possible specifications and then produce a model that falls well outside that range. For example, if you purchased a boat and the manufacturer stated the floor depth would be between 14-16 inches and it ended up being 12 inches, that isn't okay. It's either a quality control issue or misleading advertising. Even if I had been smarter about designing my frame/boxes after putting the boat on the water, I still would have felt mislead. I compared the dimensions AIRE advertised to other similar boats made by Maravia, Hyside, etc. Part of my decision to purchase the boat I did was based on the advertised specification range. My boat's actual dimensions were outside the "range" in almost every category. When it's time for a new boat in 15 years, I'll definitely be asking the manufacturer to inflate my boat and send me the actual measurements before shipping it to me. Sorry for the rant but hope someone benefits from experiences.
windriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016   #6
swimming

Coastal, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1987
Windriver , you have a very valid point. I remember having a complete frame ready for an Aire boat only to find out it was 6 " off on the interior width from spec. The Aire boats will be narrower then spec without thwarts and having been inflated for a while when new to relax. After 3 of us got in the boat sitting on the floor with our backs against the tubes and feet on the other side pushing we gained about 4" back. It was a lesson learned, now we just don't build until the boat is sitting here. That being said all the ones I have done are very consistent in sizing from boat to boat.
GreenWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016   #7
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Even with the high floor, 12" seems crazy. The cooler i've been sitting on in my 11' cat is 15.5" tall, and i only need 8" towers to make that work. Seems like if you have a high floor, you NEED your seat to stick up a little higher then normal so you have some leg room. Also helps you see where the heck your going for little boats, don't want to sit TO high, but still.

Dre has always seemed to know what there doing, weird.
Old 02-02-2016   #8
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
How high is it from the top of the floor, to top of the tube?
Old 02-02-2016   #9

boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I think downriver is spot on in that they say that the height of the drybox can only be 12" but it just sucks compared to what my smaller boat held. I have never had my new boat on the water and I already have a sour taste in my mouth. I don't know if it is deceptive or I just didn't do enough research.
Old 02-02-2016   #10

Craigamerica, -
I think what DRE means is 12 from the hanger down. My DRE boxes are 20 tall and the hangers are at 13. So from the top of the frame my box hangs down 13.

Tags
aire