New boat, looking for frame advice threads - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-27-2018   #1

Cody, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 82
New boat, looking for frame advice threads

After nine years I have upgraded my boat, got a 14.5' Wing getting shipped to me week of July 9th. I'm looking forward to see what she can do. It will be used for family day trips, day fishing trips (of course), and now I want to get into multi-day rafting excursions.

I have a NRS 60" fishing frame with stern seat now. I am interested in making it into a rafting frame, modular so I can still use it for either function.
https://www.nrs.com/product/92013.04...-fishing-frame

I have been searching the forum for a few days now and am hoping some of the regulars will point out the better frame threads .

I have a lot of camping gear for different types of adventure: hiking, mule packing, overland jeep, even RVing. I'm sure I can make most of it work for a multi-day rafting trip but I've got a limited imagination

Looking for gear advice, thread links, or pics of your perfect set-up. For example, I'm wondering about the pros/cons of using a dry box for a row seat. Looks like a space saver but I would think a seat with back support would be easier on guy that is just past his prime.

outdrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2018   #2

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
I would highly recommend side decks for the frame. Not only do they add additional storage options, they add a little more safety to the boat. The decks can help people get on and off. I like a DRE seat, however I would sit lower if rafting big water. If fishing and cruising, I would go for the seat. The DRE seat fits over my big drybox perfectly.

Will you have help loading and unloading the raft? If weight isn't an issue, I would go full DRE or Riverboat Frame with side decks. I also see Colorado Raft Frame has some great options. If weight is super important to remain as light as possible, stick with the NRS minimalist frame.
tanderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018   #3

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
There have been some great frame threads over the last 10 years. Chip had one or two amazing ones, 8-10 years ago but I cannot find them. This is a current one with good discussions:

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=40045

Good luck, and enjoy.
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2018   #4

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Here is one of them. The original one seems gone, but you could search tor it.

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=21488

Or search the group for Chip and scads of frame threads pop up. He is a real loss for the Buzz, not coming around anymore. He was hugely helpful to me when I put together my first frame.