New Aire boat stinks - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-18-2018   #1

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1987
New Aire boat stinks

I recently purchased a new Aire cataraft. After our first trip I noticed something smelling in the garage. A couple days later I nailed the source of the smell. It was our brand new boat that was smelling like mildew. What a disappointment. The fabric between the air cells seems to hold a lot of water and that was creating the smell. After our 2nd trip, same thing I have some Aire IK's and this has not been a problem so I assume it is the fabric between the air cells

What do all of you other Aire owners do with your boats after a trip to keep that stink down?

unlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2018   #2

C. Springs, Colorado
Disassembly is the only way your going to get rid of the smell. You have to get inside it to kill the mold and smell.

I bought a couple of Tomcats last year. After every use I leave them unrolled and half inflated to get them to dry. The sun helps in this process. I usually unzip the floor too. I'm not sure how long I'm going to keep them as they are a pain to dry them out. It's all part of owning a boat that has a bladder system.

I went to help a friend fix a leak in the floor of his 14' Aire raft. He hadn't had in unzipped for 15 years. We took a 5 gallon bucket of sand out of it once we got it open. Yep...it has a smell too......some of which comes from a cat pissing on it a few years back.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018   #3

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I have a 1990's vintage Aire cataraft. At the end of a trip I leave the tubes softly inflated in my hot garage for several days to let stuff dry completely.

It takes a while but the water between the bladder and the outer skin will dry out eventually, just don't roll it up before hand.

Sun shine or a mild bleach disinfect mix (1 cup bleach/5 gallons water) will kill the odor.
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2018   #4

Craig, Colorado
I've not encountered that problem with my Tributary. In thinking about your situation, I wonder if the fact that I leave my boat inflated and trailered for the drive home and in the garage is what keeps my rig from smelling. Have you checked the drain holes on your floor (assuming you don't have the sealed floor)? Might be worth a check to make sure the factory didn't leave tape or something that is keeping the floor from draining properly.
Fishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018   #5

C. Springs, Colorado
Fishn, I'm not having problems with my tributary smelling......It's the OP and Aire Cat tubes that smell.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018   #6

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1987
I have always needed to deflate to transport. Too many boats on the trailer now and I have only left inflated for a day or two after. Opening up the tube is not a problem, but getting the bladders to sit right after you zip the tube back up takes a little bit of work. I guess deep down I am a hypalon guy!

It sounds like leaving half inflated for a week or more is probably the thing to do. I've never heard of people complaining about that problem so i wondered what I was doing wrong. I was amazed at how much water was inside the tubes of the boat after a trip and how long the fabric between the bladders takes to dry. I am also a touch worried about leaving the bladders exposed if the boat is unzipped.

Thanks all for the reply.
unlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018   #7

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
Don't put wet shit in a dark place and expect science not to happen.

Sent from my XT1585 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Old 06-21-2018   #8

Scappoose, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
Aire Cats

I have two Aire cats, the Lion and a Jag. They both get water between the bladder and the skin. What I like to do after a trip is kind of hang one end from the rafters and get a good angle on the boat. I let the boats hang like this for a while and a fair bit of water drains out. I haven't noticed any smell, from either boat, but I haven't sniffed them either. For me the issue is the unnecessary weight when you need to stack rafts 2 and 3 high.
dmgraf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018   #9

Arnold, California
I have the following Aire boats (2) rafts, (3) IK's, and a Cat. Sometimes I leave inflated, but most of the time not. I've never had any smell from them. I realize there is some moisture in there but I've never worried about it and it's never been a cause for concern.

Cheers,
Dave

Tags
aire