Negative power draft wood burning tent stove by Venturi Pipe, Is it necessary - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 01-30-2016   #1

Beijing, China
Negative power draft wood burning tent stove by Venturi Pipe, Is it necessary

I have an idea to introduce a Venturi Pipe to the tent stove.
It will creat negative pressue inside the stove.
This way it will suck smoke out of the tent instead of leak into tent
I just made first prototype and tested it.
It is good as supposed.
8 pieces of AA alkaline battery can drive a 12vDC blower for full night.
the blower can be also driven by li-ion battery power bank, the later can be charged by 10W solar panel.
Anyway it is MORE safer, free of Co hazardous gases.
But there is not any same kind of tent stove in the market.
Is the Venturi Pipe necessary or not.
Attached is the first prototype.
NO commercial model is available.
So please do not make it an ad.
I just need your feedback.

Attached Files

tentstovenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2016   #2

Beijing, China
this drawing may explain how the Venturi Pipe works

and how it can be added on an old stove

Old 01-30-2016   #3

Denver, Colorado
As far as there being no other similar stoves on the market, I can tell you I've used a bunch.
Check out www.kifaru.net
Patrick Smith has been building them for 30 years and got a few great designs. I've asked him about the blower and he's tried them, just not ever been worth the weight. He is building them for backpack hunting and weight is a key consideration. I've never been smoked out of a tent and have stayed warm and cozy more nights than I can remember based on a woodburning lightweight stove.
Heck, my first child was conceived at 10k feet, January 1st 2010 in about 6 feet of snow because of that stove! No way it would have happened without the wood stove.
jonseim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2016   #4
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
The drawing helps.
I assume the stove pipe would go through the tent wall like other stoves?
Also, have you seen stove designs for houses, where the fresh air supply comes directly from outside? Basically there is just a pipe running through the wall strait into the stove, that way you do not burn up any of your warm air inside the house, these stoves are super efficient, wonder if your system could incorporate that.

Does seem like your blower concept could really help with the smoke backing up into the tent problem, my stove draws great once it heats up just a little, but eliminating the initial smoke back up I often get could be really sweet!
Old 01-30-2016   #5

Tabernash, Colorado
Heck, my first child was conceived at 10k feet, January 1st 2010 in about 6 feet of snow because of that stove! No way it would have happened without the wood stove.[/QUOTE]

Just please do not tell him about his conception.
My dad did that to me, and i'm kinda scarred, will never look at a pick nick table the same way again!!
Old 01-30-2016   #6

Beijing, China
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonseim View Post
As far as there being no other similar stoves on the market, I can tell you I've used a bunch.
Check out www.kifaru.net
Patrick Smith has been building them for 30 years and got a few great designs. I've asked him about the blower and he's tried them, just not ever been worth the weight. He is building them for backpack hunting and weight is a key consideration. I've never been smoked out of a tent and have stayed warm and cozy more nights than I can remember based on a woodburning lightweight stove.
Heck, my first child was conceived at 10k feet, January 1st 2010 in about 6 feet of snow because of that stove! No way it would have happened without the wood stove.
10 Watt solar panel, Li-Ion battery power bank, adapter, blower, total weight is some 1.5 lbs. A PORTABLE stove shall be 20 to 30 lbs. extra weight shall not be a problem
Old 01-30-2016   #7

Beijing, China
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post
The drawing helps.
Also, have you seen stove designs for houses, where the fresh air supply comes directly from outside? Basically there is just a pipe running through the wall strait into the stove, that way you do not burn up any of your warm air inside the house, these stoves are super efficient, wonder if your system could incorporate that.

Does seem like your blower concept could really help with the smoke backing up into the tent problem, my stove draws great once it heats up just a little, but eliminating the initial smoke back up I often get could be really sweet!
To add an extra pipe to go through wall, and supply fresh air from outside shall be much easy technically. But extra weight and volume is a big concern.
If main air supply is from inside, but second air is introduced from outside, it is meanless.
Old 01-30-2016   #8

Beijing, China
this is the battery box.
8 pieces of AA battery can drive the 12VDC blower for up to 10 hours.
I am sure you know the weight of battery.

Following are 2 pieces of solar panel. total 10Watt. each size 7"x9“ as long as sunshine day it works great either summer or winter.
But rain/snow day will kill it
Old 01-30-2016   #9

Beijing, China
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post
The drawing helps.

SUCTING by chimney is caused by heat or temperature difference top and bottom. When you light your stove there is no temperature difference inside the chimney. Naturally there is no sucking force to draw smoke out. Also during later night, if wood is almost burnt out to leave a few pieces of red charcoal, the heat or temperature it produces is not enough to form a natural draft, but the red charcoal may still produce Co. It is a big risk. Not a few were killed by Co is nothing but you have to keep your tent leakage somewhat. The price you pay for Co safety is colder tent than it shall be otherwise.
THIS IS MY IMAGINARY. truth or false to be discussed.
Old 01-30-2016   #10

Tabernash, Colorado
Ya, I know, but on the outside air point, it would have to be make up air from inside AND outside, going through your blower, bit more complicated, but thought i'd throw the idea out there while you are thinking about stove design. I do see value in your idea.