Need water shoes - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-07-2016   #1

Harpers Ferry, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 2014
Need water shoes

So I'm a professional raft guide on the Shenandoah and Potomac rivers. This is my third season. I wear size 16 shoes and I'm kind of at my wit's end as far as durable white water footwear goes. I had a pair of size 16 closed toe keenz but they fell apart within 2 months time. I contacted Astral directly to see if they could custom make some in my size but was told no.

Does anybody have any suggestions for durable size 16 water shoes?

Gigantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2016   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Might try 5.10 - they go up to a 15 I love my canyoneers and a lot of people like the water tennies.

I am normally 13-15 depending on brand and pretty sure I went with 13 in my boot, would have to look though. Zappos has the 15 and does free returns if they do not work, I feel your pain finding stuff that works.
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
That water is warm...like a bath this time a year. I'd just try to go with sandals, and try not to tear your toenails off. When I was living in Charles Town I always went barefoot. I love the river bottom on the doah, I spent a lot of time walking on it trying to learn the low water lines.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2016   #4

Unfortunately, they've gotta be close toe shoes. It's required by the company for which I work.
Old 07-07-2016   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakfreakus View Post
Might try 5.10 - they go up to a 15 I love my canyoneers and a lot of people like the water tennies.
Are the canyoneers good for total submersion on the river? How well do they dry?
Old 07-07-2016   #6

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor View Post
Are the canyoneers good for total submersion on the river? How well do they dry?
They are built for immersion, have drain holes, and perform well. They have a neoprene type upper and they do soak up some water during the day. Mine are usually fairly dry every morning but that is in the west with no humidity. First river shoe I have complete confidence in jumping out of my boat and having no thought of my footing.
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016   #7

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2005
couldn't speak to the quality, but it looks like TEVA makes a closed-toe river sandal in size 16. Model is Omnium, and it is available on Amazon
Grifgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016   #8

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Here is a thread about raft boots. It has some info about models but you'll have to let us know what you find out about the size problem.

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...oot-60424.html
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016   #9

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
I'm very lucky to follow some world class boaters. One of them is 6'11" and wears a size 18. He wears Keens but I can't say what model. What I can say is that he gets more than a few months out of them. You may want to consider giving Keen a call, explaining the situation to them and see if they can do anything for ya. I have a feeling yours may have been a special case.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016   #10

NIMBY, Oregon
Paddling Since: Womb
IMO, these are still the best and made in size 16...

heavyswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote