Need a rec for a good LED lantern - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-23-2014   #1

the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Need a rec for a good LED lantern

Looking to replace the old standby Coleman with an LED lantern for use on hunting trips and possible raft trips, though we've found that on raft trips we don't use a lantern because it's light so late.

Can anyone recommend a good LED lantern that is reasonably durable, has good run time, and produces a "warmer" light than your standard LED bulb?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2014   #2

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Black Diamond Titan.

They come with a dimmer switch, and can be plugged into an outlet to recharge
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014   #3

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Switched from propane to a 30 day lantern and never looked back.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2014   #4

Western Slope, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Maybe keep the Coleman for its form that has worked before; The hood and central metal assembly and the metal enclosed base.
Fix tightly as many Luxeon, Creed, etc star-type board LED's as can be physically attached and/or desired, wired in parallel to that central metal assembly ( Think Heat Dissipation )
Then fit either a LION or replaceable batteries into the bottom and a Voltage Regulator-type Voltage matching Power Supply, switch and you're good to go.
If just left open to the elements it would run fine after just a short time after immersion. Probably most important would be for the battery terminals to be either well drained or tightly sealed. Might be a little dimmer until it dries out. Might work underwater to some extent, IE .... faster battery drain.
If LION, they could just be sealed in the bottom, but maybe not so good for long trips.
ColoradoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014   #5

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I got one of these. I've been very, very happy with it and it is super bright (3 levels). It also has a red mode but it's not quite bright enough to really do major work by but I've done dishes by it. I typically take the top off and hang it upside down thereby creating a wide expanse of light.
Old 09-25-2014   #6

Problem is that plastic lanterns don't dissipate the heat. So you will always be disappointed performance vs. weight.
And they break easily, especially when cold.
Old 09-25-2014   #7

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDave View Post
Problem is that plastic lanterns don't dissipate the heat. So you will always be disappointed performance vs. weight.
And they break easily, especially when cold.
Are you referring to my recco with the heat? I assume you are referring to heat from an external source because the LEDs on this lamp produce very little heat. Furthermore, I've used this in temps well below zero without issue. It also is water resistant and it floats.
Old 09-25-2014   #8

I have the bd Titan and the little one. I've used them in many adverse conditions and they work well and serve all my needs. Gas lanterns are a pain in the ass and are not worth the extra light to me.
oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Sierra trading post has the smaller Black Diamond Orbit LED lanterns on sale for $22 - but if you sign up for their emails you can get a 35% off coupon making it $14 and change. I am very happy with mine. I also have a BD Apollo lantern. These two were our lighting for a 24 day Grand trip and worked great - plus some battery powered string lights mainly for ambiance. Color wise they aren't super cool or super warm.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014   #10

The original posters requirement was to replace a Coleman lantern.
The amount of light thrown off by a Coleman lantern is significant. No plastic LED-based lantern can even come close. They are basically flashlights / Headlamps that look like a lantern.
Heat dissipation is necessary for higher candlepower so look for something with some heft. Like shopping for a good power amp.