Navy Valve replacement on Sunrunner Raaft - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-13-2013   #1

Wasilla, Alaska
Paddling Since: 1978
Navy Valve replacement on Sunrunner Raaft

Tried to replace valves on pre 1985 Sunrunner---(later purchased by RIken or Hyside?). Ordered valves from NRS. They look the same but are just a bit larger and won't fit. Where do I get the right size valves? Or, how can i make the NRS navy valves work?

Raftatolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2013   #2

River City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
I've never heard of a navy valve. Can you post a link to the NRS part?

If you mean a nylon military valve, to replace on some of the older rafts you can file down the end of the valve, the part that fits farthest into the tube, to get it to fit right. Don't know if that is what you are after?.?.?
OregonRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013   #3
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
You are talking military valves. Indeed you can't get exact replacement military valves to fit on some old boats. The diameter of the new valves is slightly too big to fit into the valve boot hole.

2 options, have a professional heat gun off the old valve boots and glue on all new valve boots with modern valves, or file down the new military valve body to fit the old boot hole. I have done the latter. It does work but takes time to file down the body to fit. I put some silicone around the valve body when re-installing to make an air tight fit as you can't fle the body down to be perfectly smooth and round for the exact compression fit.

I used silicone and not goop so to have a chance of prying the valve out again if needed.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2013   #4

Wasilla, Alaska
Replacing Military valves on Sunrunner Raft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raftatolla View Post
Tried to replace valves on pre 1985 Sunrunner---(later purchased by RIken or Hyside?). Ordered valves from NRS. They look the same but are just a bit larger and won't fit. Where do I get the right size valves? Or, how can i make the NRS navy valves work?
Thanks much! They are military Nylon valves and they are not only too long but too wide in diameter. I thought about trimming them down though that will take some time. Does anyone sell the valves that will fit?
Old 11-14-2013   #5

Wasilla, Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonRafter View Post
I've never heard of a navy valve. Can you post a link to the NRS part?

If you mean a nylon military valve, to replace on some of the older rafts you can file down the end of the valve, the part that fits farthest into the tube, to get it to fit right. Don't know if that is what you are after?.?.?
They are nylon military valves--sorry. I will look at the possibility of filing them down but they are also large in diameter---just a little big but will be a pain to sand them down. No one sells the right size?
Old 11-14-2013   #6

Banner Elk, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1992
I may have what you need.

I have some blue nylon military valves that we used on our boats a long time ago. We also have white military valves. If you could trace the valve seat and e-mail it with a measurement, I'd be happy to see if we have what you need. Happy Paddling! Mike 864-836-2800
Star Inflatables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013   #7
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Inflatables View Post
I have some blue nylon military valves that we used on our boats a long time ago. We also have white military valves. If you could trace the valve seat and e-mail it with a measurement, I'd be happy to see if we have what you need. Happy Paddling! Mike 864-836-2800
I have had a a few boats with various millitary valve sizes and had similar problems tracking down the old smaller white valves. Our maxxon raft has the blue military valves. They are not even close to any size white military valve I have seen. I have seen at least 3 distinctly different white military valve sizes. The very oldest were slightly smaller than the ones NRS has been selling for years.

It sounds like the OPs boat has the old smallest white military valves, which you cannot buy and haven't been available commerical for at least as long as the last time I tried to track some down a decade ago.

If the boat hull is in decent shape, best idea is to replace the valve boots with modern equipment.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote