Naming your Raft - Page 5 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-11-2017   #41

Boise, ID
Paddling Since: '99
I haven't read a single "Boaty McBoatface" yet so that name is still up for grabs.

Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2017   #42
Come and open the gate

denver, Colorado
I read somewhere that it is bad luck for a boat to not have a name. Also bad luck to change the name of a boat without some kind of ritual.

mine is named Loretta, after a TVZ song.

"spends my money like water falls, loves me like i want her to"
stribtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017   #43

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by stribtw View Post
I read somewhere that it is bad luck for a boat to not have a name. Also bad luck to change the name of a boat without some kind of ritual.
And really bad luck if the ritual involves a bottle of champagne broken over the bow...
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2017   #44

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Love the names mine is Ship of fools 4000 miles of river over the years, never flipped. I know the saying If you have never flipped you will. Ship of fools is worn out and retired. New boat new name
bearskiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017   #45

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1996
Looks like you've got yourself a painter! For what it's worth, a company called Funky Monkey has vinyl lettering for inflatables or flexible paint and stencils that I think I might try:

Funky Monkey - RIB Tube Lettering

I haven't named my boat yet. But I will!
Yarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017   #46
My name isn't Will

Willamette Valley, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1997
Black Pearl Honeybee

I've been a kayaker for many years and never named my boats. I bought a raft last year. It's a white NRS E-150 built in April 2000. Black on the bottom with a yellow seam. I asked the previous owner if it had a name. He said The Falcon. That would have to change. It might have no name, or it might have a new name. It took two Rogue trips and a Grand Canyon trip, but I think I got it now.

I first thought about calling her White Side Up. That's how I want her to stay. The top is white, and I want that side up. I was concerned that this might come across as inappropriate to some folks, so I let that go. I briefly thought of Blanca. That didn't seem right.

Black on bottom, pearl on top. Black Pearl! But that's an imaginary pirate ship. Hmmmm. My sweetie suggested it kind of looks like a honeybee if you think of the white as the wings and the black/yellow as the body.

So now her full name is Black Pearl Honeybee, but she goes affectionately as Pearl.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	looking at lava.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	21394   Click image for larger version

Name:	Near Crystal.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	21402  

Attached Files
Will Amette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017   #47

Salt Lake City, Utah
I have a red Aire SDP that my, at the time, 3 year old daughter named Cherry Crystal Sparkle. I tried to name my orange Aire WD William, as in William of Orange, but then I have to give history lessons with every new passenger.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
richjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017   #48

central, Oregon
The 15' wooden skiff I built 7 yrs ago and had to retire last year was called Smells Like Fish...
Smoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017   #49

Denver, Colorado
Rosie the Red Rubber Raft.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
skipowpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017   #50

C. Springs, Colorado
Back in the day of running Deso in bucket boats....we had a leaky Campways we called "The love noodle"
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote