My Raft GoPro Mount - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-05-2013   #1
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
My Raft GoPro Mount

I've had a few people ask me about my camera mount. Today I came up with something that works well. I used tripods in the past, but they break easily and get cumbersome.

I put my mount together from 1 1/4" PVC pipe. I didn't glue any pieces, just holding it together with pressure. My reasoning behind it is if my boat flips, I want my mount to break apart easily and not become an obstacle. I do put a tether line made out of parachute cord on the camera though, since I already donated one GoPro to Skull

The measurements I went with:

Bottom upside down T is 20" high and upper beam is 48". I used 3' loop straps to stabilize the main shaft.

This is the perspective I got with my first prototype (which was 1' lower):

The mount looking back from captain seat:

I am stabilizing the shaft with 3 loop straps for a quick disconnect if I need it.

I am storing the main shaft behind my seat when camera isn't used:

I leave the upside down T permanently attached with a hose clamp in the boat. It's out of the way and allows me to put up the main shaft if I need it for a quick video.

Advertisement

Old 05-05-2013   #2

Greeley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Great post!

What a special post, thanks! First, the time with your son is the best. Great memories. I have two grown kids who now have this lifetime addiction to purchasing rafting gear and spending time on rivers. You have given him a tremendous gift. Next, I am doing the MF in June and haven't yet decided how to mount the GoPro so your pics are a great help and I will likely follow your model. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2013   #3

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1970
Go Pro mount

Looks a bit complicated. I bought an NRS low pro fitting, found a 12' (excess) piece of tubing to hold 5' pvc tube (matching the inside diameter), adjust the angle of the low pro on your frame. You can see some of the video taken from this angle as well as video from the shore of my yellow Aire in Ladle last June at 6' at:

Not the detailed picture you have but pretty simple and foolproof setup.
Lanny
lyhfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2013   #4
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I really like the video. I guess this is more about the mount which gives a great angle.
The editing on this was great. I know it's 'simple' but well done. Makes me want to get my kids out there. Soon enough. It's still breaking spring up here.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #5
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyhfamily View Post
Looks a bit complicated.
It's a lot less complicated comparing what I used to have.

I like getting the whole boat in the shot, and show the size of the rapids. Do you have pictures of your mount?
Old 05-06-2013   #6

Prineville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
Here's one I came up with. I just strap it to the tube. You could change the angle by lengthening the pvc that gopro attaches to. I like your idea with the sticky mount. A lot less bulky and looks more stabile than the handlebar mount. I think I'll swap mine out for a sticky mount.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2287458739.jpg
Views:	3723
Size:	454.6 KB
ID:	6146
BryanS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #7

Prineville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
Here is what the video looks like. Taken on the N.Umpqua
BryanS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #8
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Bryan, that video is pretty cool. The problem I had with a low rise mount is that you can't see the front of the boat well.
Old 05-06-2013   #9

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I loved kazak4x4's video. Thank you for sharing your mount details.

I don't like helmet mounted on the rower's head (or frankly on anyone's head) because it seems like a funny perspective. The pole behind the rower is a somewhat similar view (slightly farther back in the fisheye perspective), but it's a more natural video with the rower's upper torso in the video.

Thanks for your videos as well, BryanS and lyhfamily. Even with some height variations, they're from a good perspective. For interesting video (and editing), one could also vary the height of the mount so you could swap from one view to the other so the view isn't only from the single perspective. No, you wouldn't be in chronological order of rapids, but unless you're doing a "rapid guide" video, you're really trying to show the feeling of being on the river anyway.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #10
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Good point, MT4Runner, for that reason I bought another GoPro and going to give one to my kid on a hiking pole. Then the video will be synced together and we will get different angles of the action.