My first major raft repair... - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-29-2009   #1
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
My first major raft repair...

Yesterday when I got to the putin (of course), I realized the floor of my raft had blown a seam. It's a hypalon, self-bailing Hyside. The floor seam is about a hand's width all the way around and there are grommets through which the rope laces to secure the floor to the tubes.

About a 6 inch section of this seam has blown partially out and the floor is leaking badly around one of the grommets. The seam is not separated completely. I tried putting adhesive around the grommet but it didn't seal it.

I'm wondering if I should separate the seam completely and re-adhesive the whole section, if I need a new grommet, or what the best course of action is.

I read through the repair threads but didn't really see anything that applied. ~Thanks, Kjirsten

"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2009   #2

Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
If I read this right the edge by the grommets is dielamminating? If so a patch isn't gonna help. It may be not too difficult to repair but most likely a real pain in any case. I think you should call Highside and or Downriver equipment in Denver and talk to the tech Repair / Cust service guys. They are usually very helpful and can walk you through a repair (and maybe Warrenty it).
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009   #3
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
your interior perimeter v tape that takes all the pressure and keeps the 2 layers of your floor from splitting has come unglued. stuffing all the adhesive in the world in the hole and regrommeting wont do any good. the grommets need to be pulled out, the 2 layers of floor need to be separated, the interior perimeter v tape needs to be re-attached (if it is in good shape)or replaced and then the floor needs to be put back together. this is a fairly common problem in older hysides, especially ones that have had water in the floor. it is a fairly tricky repair and certainly time consuming. be careful. when prepping the v tape make sure not so sand holes in it as it is very thin. probably not what you wanted to hear but hope it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakemetotheRiver View Post
Yesterday when I got to the putin (of course), I realized the floor of my raft had blown a seam. It's a hypalon, self-bailing Hyside. The floor seam is about a hand's width all the way around and there are grommets through which the rope laces to secure the floor to the tubes.

About a 6 inch section of this seam has blown partially out and the floor is leaking badly around one of the grommets. The seam is not separated completely. I tried putting adhesive around the grommet but it didn't seal it.

I'm wondering if I should separate the seam completely and re-adhesive the whole section, if I need a new grommet, or what the best course of action is.

I read through the repair threads but didn't really see anything that applied. ~Thanks, Kjirsten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2009   #4

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
How old is your boat? It might be a warranty repair. Also, other than straight forward puncture repairs, I am a pretty big fan of professional repairs. AAA or IT in Denver can do the job. I saw on Hyside's website that there is a place called Phoenix Raft in Grand Junction that they recommend, although I have no experience with that particular outfit.
Hyside Dealers and Repair Centers
Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009   #5

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
On the inside of that seam you have a doubler strip glued the full length of the floor tubes that keeps the seam from seperating. The inside doubler seam needs to be glued fitst where the floor is damaged, it is about 2 inches wide. After glueing suck the air out of the floor to seat the inside seam for about one hour or longer. than inflate the floor to check for leaks, with soap. if no leaks glue rest of seam where grommet is.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009   #6
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbaird View Post
your interior perimeter v tape that takes all the pressure and keeps the 2 layers of your floor from splitting has come unglued. stuffing all the adhesive in the world in the hole and regrommeting wont do any good. the grommets need to be pulled out, the 2 layers of floor need to be separated, the interior perimeter v tape needs to be re-attached (if it is in good shape)or replaced and then the floor needs to be put back together. this is a fairly common problem in older hysides, especially ones that have had water in the floor. it is a fairly tricky repair and certainly time consuming. be careful. when prepping the v tape make sure not so sand holes in it as it is very thin. probably not what you wanted to hear but hope it helps.
Yep- this is exactly what I was afraid of. The biggest problem is that I am in Asheville, NC until August and I don't know anyone here to help me repair it or where to get new v-tape. And being boatless for the next month is unacceptable.

Do I need to completely separate the bottom of the floor from the top and remove all the grommets or can I just remove it partially around the blown out part to re-attach or replace the v-tape?

Quote:
I think you should call Highside and or Downriver equipment in Denver and talk to the tech Repair / Cust service guys. They are usually very helpful and can walk you through a repair (and maybe Warrenty it).
I don't know anything about prepping v-tape, so thanks for the suggestion to call Downriver- maybe they can help by phone.

The boat is older and I bought it used, so I'm sure there's no warranty.

Quote:
On the inside of that seam you have a doubler strip glued the full length of the floor tubes that keeps the seam from seperating. The inside doubler seam needs to be glued fitst where the floor is damaged, it is about 2 inches wide. After glueing suck the air out of the floor to seat the inside seam for about one hour or longer. than inflate the floor to check for leaks, with soap. if no leaks glue rest of seam where grommet is.
This actually sounds easier, but doesn't mention v-tape. I don't know what v-tape is, so I don't know if my boat has it or not. Will opening the doubler strip and glueing fix the problem?

Thanks for all the help, Kjirsten
"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
Old 06-29-2009   #7

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Zbaird's discription is more accurate, the v tape which I called a doubler needs to be glued first, as discribed. When you open the floor seam you will see what we are talking about. One peek is worth a thousand words. you may call me at (720) 232-8526 sounds you need the help SAP.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009   #8

Kjirsten,

You should talk to Tony Miely at 4 Corners. He's a swimmer when he is in his kayak and drinks Schlitz and talks himself up alot. but I believe he worked for Downriver Equipment or some other Denver based raft Manuf. b4 he started wussing out running the town run and swimming out of Smelter.

Steve.
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure. - Helen Keller
sward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009   #9
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by sward View Post
Kjirsten,

You should talk to Tony Miely at 4 Corners. He's a swimmer when he is in his kayak and drinks Schlitz and talks himself up alot. but I believe he worked for Downriver Equipment or some other Denver based raft Manuf. b4 he started wussing out running the town run and swimming out of Smelter.

Steve.
I wish I was there to take it to Tony, even if he does swim a lot. I decided to take it to Smoky Mtn Raft Repair. It's only about an hour away through pretty scenery and Huck, the owner, seems knowledgeable and helpful. Thanks for all the feedback!
Old 06-29-2009   #10

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
just buy a kayak a learn to boat for the next month
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rafting