My cooler access solution... - Mountain Buzz

Old 3 Days Ago   #1

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
My cooler access solution...

...I got really tired of having to get out of my seat and unrig the cooler lid every time I needed a cold beverage. Here is a what I came up with.

The only coolers I could find that would fit in my boat (NRS Otter 140) in this configuration were Engel dry box coolers. Everything else was either too wide, sat up too high, or had latches that got in the way. They aren't great coolers, but good enough for day trips.

The coolers sit on hangers made of 3" wide by 3/16" thick stainless steel (316). I had a fab shop bend them for me. The deck is 3/4" plywood sprayed with rhino liner with dense mini cell foam glued on top.

Had it out on the river yesterday, worked like a charm. One handed beer retrieval. The only thing I need to add now is a drink holder.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	df3.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	43991   Click image for larger version

Name:	df2.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	43993  

Click image for larger version

Name:	df1.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	43995  

Advertisement

Old 3 Days Ago   #2

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Well done!
Cubuffs85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #3

C. Springs, Colorado
Nice set up. Might I suggest one of these to install with your cup holder. That way you don't need to get out of your seat when you run down a scary rapid.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...reliefhorn.php
Advertisement

Old 2 Days Ago   #4

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Sweet setup. I'd be tempted to add a zip-top drop bag under your seat to give you secure storage between the coolers for a spare PFD, trash, small drybag, etc.

Oh, and what's the issue with the small Engel coolers--just too thin-walled to be any good for insulation? They seem well-made.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #5

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
What's the big deal, it look's just like my livingroom, except it's 10X cleaner and I have a recliner with a TV on the wall. Very nice.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #6

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
that looks awesome. where did you get the foam and how did you attach it?
T.O.Mac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #7

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
Oh, and what's the issue with the small Engel coolers--just too thin-walled to be any good for insulation? They seem well-made.
Most of the people I've talked to that have tried them say that, yes they are well made, but lack the insulation for extended multi-day use. I'm sure they work great for a day cooler... but if you want it to last for a week they just don't last. I've actually talked to a few guys who use them as captains dry boxes(which Engel actually advertise them as) since they are a bit lighter weight then an aluminum drybox and stay pretty dry.

Seems like the smaller Canyon coolers might do the trick...but its hard to say.

That looks like a sweet setup. I'm digging the camo seadek foam or similar you put on there. Super slick all around.

edit: If you want something a bit more insulated and long lasting...the Canyon Coolers Outfitter 22 is the exact same outside dimensions as the 19qt. Engel Cooler/Drybox. I can't tell which one you have...so maybe not. Not nearly as much room inside the Canyon due to the thicker walls...but might be worth looking at.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #8

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubuffs85 View Post
Well done!

I'll echo that, and I love the camo ethafoam, but what keeps them in place if >when< you flip? Don't see any strap attachment methods ?
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #9

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNichols View Post
I'll echo that, and I love the camo ethafoam, but what keeps them in place if >when< you flip? Don't see any strap attachment methods ?
There are small loops near the bottom of the cooler than a carrying strap went through. I used some 1 foot straps to strap them to the hangar brackets.
Old 2 Days Ago   #10

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
I looked at the Canyon 22 and its a great cooler, but unfortunately with the way the latches are set up on it, I would have had to raise the rowers seat too high to get the latches to clear the seat.

Latch placement eliminated almost every other option out there. Most cooler makers mount the latches way too low on the cooler. Though, I did see one by Cordova the other day that had the latches inverted, which looks like it would work a lot better with most raft frames for ease of access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post
Most of the people I've talked to that have tried them say that, yes they are well made, but lack the insulation for extended multi-day use. I'm sure they work great for a day cooler... but if you want it to last for a week they just don't last. I've actually talked to a few guys who use them as captains dry boxes(which Engel actually advertise them as) since they are a bit lighter weight then an aluminum drybox and stay pretty dry.

Seems like the smaller Canyon coolers might do the trick...but its hard to say.

That looks like a sweet setup. I'm digging the camo seadek foam or similar you put on there. Super slick all around.

edit: If you want something a bit more insulated and long lasting...the Canyon Coolers Outfitter 22 is the exact same outside dimensions as the 19qt. Engel Cooler/Drybox. I can't tell which one you have...so maybe not. Not nearly as much room inside the Canyon due to the thicker walls...but might be worth looking at.

Tags
access