multiday frame for paddle raft - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-06-2013   #1

Crestone, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
multiday frame for paddle raft

Anyone have a good design for an expedition frame that works for a paddle raft (NO OARS). I saw one rig on the Grand Canyon that had 2 hangbags going across where the thwarts would be and then a cooler down the center, creating an 'I' configuration; rigid, one piece. Other ideas? Pics?

thomascleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013   #2

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
How many people are you looking to carry and what size boat? On guided trips we would carry a cooler in a day frame. It was a rectangle frame that attached to the thwarts. We would hang the cooler in the frame and had enough room for our pin kit between the cooler and the rear thwart. If we had another drybag we would rig it in by the guides feet.

If you are setup as an R2, then strap a cooler frame between the thwarts and load your gear in the bow and the stern.

If you are running R3 or 4 then you can put paddlers in the bow and the stern and load up the center bay with a more traditional day frame minus the oar towers.

For R5 and up. I could see building a frame with a double rail over the thwarts and a cooler bay in the middle. Gear would get strapped to the double rail. Unless you have foot cups, you would need to leave the thwarts in so the paddlers have something to brace on.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #3

Crestone, Colorado
Thanks. It is a 14 footer that I would like to run with a full compliment of paddlers (6- AND carry at least all their soft gear (dry bags) and maybe a cooler. So using a 2 bay frame without oars is not so good for the middle paddlers, hence the 'I' shaped frame. I am thinking feet could get tucked between the inflated floor and the hangbags of soft stuff without the need for footcups, just like you tuck under a thwart. Ideas from others?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013   #4

Orem, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Here is a picture from Streetview of a paddle raft with the I frame and lots of gear on it. It looks like there is a cooler under there and room enough for 8 paddlers although 6 would be more comfortable, and it looks like six is how many paddles there are there on the boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	paddle frame.JPG
Views:	512
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	5588  
Old 02-07-2013   #5

Tigard, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikii875 View Post
Here is a picture from Streetview of a paddle raft with the I frame and lots of gear on it. It looks like there is a cooler under there and room enough for 8 paddlers although 6 would be more comfortable, and it looks like six is how many paddles there are there on the boat.
Ha, I just emailed a friend at Azra, to find out what their frame looks like and if they use thwarts or not.
Old 02-07-2013   #6

Crestone, Colorado
Sweet, thanks. It looks like 4 of the paddlers even get a backrest out of it. I do see some foot cups, too.
Old 02-07-2013   #7

Tigard, Oregon
Heard back from Azra, no thwarts in their setup, but they do have foot cups. When I saw them paddling down the Ditch the paddlers looked ridiculously tired, but the guides said they could gut the hole at Crystal.