Multi-use trailer question; might seem odd - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-16-2019   #1

Multi-use trailer question; might seem odd

I'm assuming that everybody agrees that a raft trailer should have a flat deck, over the tires (rather than between fenders). This means a fairly high deck height.
My other intended use is to haul my sidecar for use as a shuttle vehicle. Ideally, that would mean a low deck height.
Has anybody seen a tilt bed trailer that Isn't low and between the wheels?

I think the only tilt bed trailers I've seen have been for hauling cars or equipment, and I only need 6X10 feet, more or less, and a huge vehicle trailer wouldn't make a good raft trailer. It seems like a small deck like that, situated up high, might not work for tilting without being close to vertical.

Any suggestions?

KipG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2019   #2

https://www.pjtrailers.com/trailers/...e-axle-hd-tilt

https://www.alumaklm.com/utility/sin...tility-trailer

Plus have a local fabrication shop or friend with a welder make drop-in rails to suspend raft above fenders &/or sidecar. If the boat is small enough, it will fit between the fenders of a full width trailer, 80"+ between fenders, on days you don't need the sidecar on the deck.

In the alternative, could you load m'cycle and sidecar, separately, on the front of the trailer? What are dimensions and weight of side car? Might be easier and cheaper to have a 14'ish deck, more narrow, single axle trailer, like what is commonly sold to haul UTV's, with the m'cycle and sidecar loaded on the front. Several threads/posts on here about m'cycle racks on trailer tongue's.
BGillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019   #3

Tres Piedras, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1979
snowmobile trailer comes to mind.
newpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2019   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGillespie View Post
https://www.alumaklm.com/utility/sin...tility-trailer

Plus have a local fabrication shop or friend with a welder make drop-in rails to suspend raft above fenders &/or sidecar. If the boat is small enough, it will fit between the fenders of a full width trailer, 80"+ between fenders, on days you don't need the sidecar on the deck.
I like that second trailer a lot!
Disassembling the sidecar outfit is out of the question, There's an auxillary fuel tank and car battery (the Only battery) between the bike and sidecar, and taking it apart would take 2 hours. Putting it back together would take at least 4, on a flat level surface, with more tools than I want to carry.
I have the fab skills, and access to a shop, but want to start with something off road capable. As I said, I like that aluminum one, a lot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by newpc View Post
snowmobile trailer comes to mind.
never thought of that. There's kinda no such thing here in CA, but I just looked online and like some of what I'm seeing.
KipG is offline   Reply With Quote