Multi use helmet? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-15-2019   #1

Ridgway, Colorado
Multi use helmet?

I grew up in the seventies...
I jumped my Stingray in cut off jeans; helmets weren't invented yet.
I've only kinda evolved; I won't bike without a lid but, skiing...
I know it's dumb but after literally thousands of days on skis, I kind of think of it like; if I'm going to wear it skiing, may as well just wear it 24/7.
The exception to that is mountaineering when I'm concerned about rock fall.
I also have a conspiracy complex about helmet manufactures trying to get us to buy a helmet for every single activity that we're into.
So... a mountaineering/whitewwater helmet?

rtsideup is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019   #2

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 2000
Mammut Wall Rider? It has multi-impact foam, side of the head coverage and comes down in the rear pretty well. Doesn't look as doofy as an older Camp style helmet.

I went with the mountaineering focused helmet as I would say I spend more time in my Alpine helmet while doing alpine things than I spend in my WW helmet doing WW things.

That said I probably own 12-14 helmets. Hell, I own different styles of helmet for nearly the same disciplines.
missiongravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019   #3

Phoenix, Arizona
Not sure about the current model but I have a Petzl Meteor III+ from a few years back that is CE approved for Climbing, Cycling and Paddling.
pwolfehagen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019   #4

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2015
Got one of these last season and have been very pleased. All week comfortable and plenty warm so far this spring. Mountaineering and WW rated among other ratings for industry. I've got a big grape so the standard WW offerings just don't fit. Mount is for a headlamp/NVGs/etc but can be easily adapted for a GoPro.

https://www.teamwendy.com/products/h...ar-backcountry
ozzmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019   #5

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtsideup
I know it's dumb but after literally thousands of days on skis, I kind of think of it like; if I'm going to wear it skiing, may as well just wear it 24/7.

I'd argue it this way: your brain is the most sensitive, delicate part of your anatomy. (yes, even if you're a guy). It's the ONE part that surgeons generally can't fix, and if you have a big injury, it could leave your 24/7 eating with a straw.

Concussions and TBI's are horrible injuries and generally preventable.

Quote:
I also have a conspiracy complex about helmet manufactures trying to get us to buy a helmet for every single activity that we're into.

I would argue that it's the attorneys/actuaries/insurance companies who prevent mfrs from making multisport helmets...but the 2nd tier is that manufacturers are only too happy to comply and create more products for the market.

Hockey helmets, alpine helmets, and whitewater helmets IMHO are 3 that probably fit the multisport need best--tough shell with resilient liners. A lot of other helmets are not designed to take multiple shell hits, or have single shot liners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missiongravity View Post
That said I probably own 12-14 helmets. Hell, I own different styles of helmet for nearly the same disciplines.

A fellow hockey coach and I were discussing this on the river on Saturday. Hockey, mt biking (x2), skiing, whitewater (x3)...plus I've got a dirtbike helmet, a full-face motorsports helmet, hard hat....and he added a road bike helmet and alpine helmet.

Not to sound macabre, but I think a person could have their helmets displayed at their funeral to represent their passions and vocation.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019   #6

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
They take away your shoelaces!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtsideup View Post
I grew up in the seventies...
I jumped my Stingray in cut off jeans; helmets weren't invented yet.
I've only kinda evolved; I won't bike without a lid but, skiing...
The exception to that is mountaineering when I'm concerned about rock fall.
So... a mountaineering/whitewwater helmet?
They take away your shoelaces and when you watch a baseball game on TV, with every pitch everyone in the room is yelling Touch Down, it drove me nuts. The peanuts and popcorn are pretty tasty though. A helmet isn't so bad an idea.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Iím the same as you man, grew up without a helmet for anything. I still ski a lot of days, mostly backcountry, without a helmet. Nowadays, inbounds you have to worry about getting taken out by someone else, not your own ability to keep your head off of something hard. I used to ride my bike to work without a helmet then I got hit by a car (fortunately not bad) but my head didnít hit the ground. Now I wear a Bern Watts for city bike riding, inbound skiing, and rafting. I have a Sweet helmet for kayaking and I know of a dude who uses his Sweet for ice climbing. I wouldnít do any mountaineering in it though, too heavy. Iím not really sure thereís a great crossover between whitewater and mountaineering, although I do tell my friends who come rafting with me that any bike or climbing helmet is usually sufficient for the whitewater we do. I still do all my climbing and mountaineering in an old Ecrin Roc.
JHimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019   #8

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
POC

POC multi use helmet.

https://www.pocsports.com/us/product...ceptor&start=1
tbirk is online now   Reply With Quote