Mountainsmith Modular System On Sale - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-28-2016   #1

little rock, Arkansas
Mountainsmith Modular System On Sale

I know it's a popular item for raft trips so I thought I'd mention Backcountry has the three cube version marked down from $89.95 to $35.98 for Cyber Monday. http://www.backcountry.com/mountains...BHZWFyOjE6Mjc6 I've wanted one for years but could never remember the name to search for it. Even with shipping it was only $41. Pretty stoked to finally get one. Seems like a great way to organize stuff in a dry box among other places.

lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2016   #2

Salem, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
These aren't water proof, are they? So you are just looking to use these in place of dividers in your dry box?

I'd be super stoked about using them if they were waterproof and didn't need to be placed inside a dry box.
Old 11-28-2016   #3

little rock, Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by UriahJones View Post
These aren't water proof, are they? So you are just looking to use these in place of dividers in your dry box?

I'd be super stoked about using them if they were waterproof and didn't need to be placed inside a dry box.
Right. I've always thought it'd be perfect for putting food, smaller dishes etc., things that tend to get lost, into to keep safe and organized in the dry box then carry up to camp as needed. Great for car camping too; pretty much anything really.
lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2016   #4

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1998
They aren't waterproof. They are cool though.
altaholics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016   #5

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
I've used these things for 7-8 years now - they're great as long as you recognize limitations. Used one for several years as my "lunch bag" - holds a good size cutting board, Tupperware with various silverware & a few spices, roll of paper towels in a gallon ziplock, small container of hand sanitizer, etc. I rig it on top of my load, behind where I sit on boat, (unashamed to admit usually just carabinered in) and it has survived major hits on Grand and other trips. Usually get 2-3 years out of a cube, it's UV that does them in, the zipper will separate from the fabric and then it's toast.
Can also rig below decks and they are "splash-proof" but not "submerge-proof." Great for organizing food on long multi-days. I also use one to carry drysuit/rain gear, again just 'binered into load behind me, easy to get to and open.
If you want to use to carry stuff up to camp, one in each hand w/carry handles will hold as much as I've ever wanted to lift. But if you're going for car camping or expect to use in the carry bag, stay with the 3 unit, much easier to manuever and will hold as much as you ever need. I have both the 3 and 4 cube carry bags, the 4 unit one has lived in garage forever... the three bay one we use infrequently for car camping. Mostly the cubes are just handy to organize stuff and totally rainproof except in gale force winds - then you get a drop or two past the zippers, which have tunnel protectors.
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016   #6

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
We use them to pack food by day or meals or condiments in our dry box. Don't overload them. On last years GC trip with a day's worth of dry goods(cans) for a 15 person trip, I lifted it by the strap and the side seam tore. Other than that, they're fantastic. About 7 years ago, my wife found a bunch of red ones for something like $6-7. Haven't seen that deal since.
tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016   #7

ChroniclesofGnarnia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 4/20
My bro had one of these on the grand for dry box org and taking stuff up to camp they were awesome and I was jealous.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016   #8
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Steep and Cheap also has 3 cube version on sale for $34.98. Mountainsmith Modular Hauler System - Up to 70% Off | Steep and Cheap

Has anyone tried a Mountainsmith dry duffle??? They are also on sale: Mountainsmith Mountain Dry Duffel - Roll-Top Dry Bag - Up to 70% Off | Steep and Cheap
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016   #9

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1960
After a trip down the ditch I was sold on these... link below! We made them ourselves, haha rephrase I did not make them, my boyfriend at the time made them for our trip. When we were looking at bringing in new items I thought they would be perfect for boaters far and wide. I had our food organized with all I needed in each bag by the day which made cook crew days easy and they are great for off the river grocery trips too. ADORE and they are super tough so you don't have to worry about over loading them. The one in the photo was actually a homemade one from our trip. There are my two pennies for ya! Happy Holidays ~ Renee

Cascade Boat Tote | Cascade River Gear
Cascade River Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016   #10

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I have one of these and its excellent. I use them for everything. Its a must buy for 35
Treswright3 is offline   Reply With Quote