Motor for raft - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-16-2019   #21

Black Hawk, Colorado
I see the 20” & 25” come with a high-thrust prop and 12V charging system. what is the high thrust prop? And what is the charging system used for?

Cgilbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2019   #22

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1980
The high thrust prop has a different pitch. Again the motor is for sailboats. The 12 volt is for charging a battery to run electronics. I will be running a fish finder and maybe a trolling motor. I sold my big motor boat, we now use the raft for everything. I don’t believe the prop will make much difference on the raft. I’ll let you know how it goes.
Bobthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019   #23

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobthegreat View Post
The high thrust prop has a different pitch. Again the motor is for sailboats. The 12 volt is for charging a battery to run electronics. I will be running a fish finder and maybe a trolling motor. I sold my big motor boat, we now use the raft for everything. I dont believe the prop will make much difference on the raft. Ill let you know how it goes.
To my understanding, a high thrust prop will have no real positive effect save for potentially being able/having to run at slightly lower throttle. There's a threshold to motoring rafts - they never get on a plane, and eventually your motor will try to push under your raft if you give it too much power. You're basically plowing the water that you're drafting when you motor a raft, even my ancient British Seagull 2hp will start to drag the stern down at full throttle on occasion.
seantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2019   #24

Environmental scientist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Propane motor

I did a lot of research on this a couple years ago and ended up purchasing a Lehr 10 hp long shaft propane motor. It's really the only way to go. You cannot carry enough battery capacity unless you are just trolling along flat water for a few hours and gasoline is a real hazard on a raft. With the Lehr we were able to hook up 8 rafts and move them along at up to 6 MPH. The problem is cost - I have about $3K into the setup which includes extra props and an industrial 40 pound aluminum propane tank. I am thinking of selling this as I don't boat much these days so post if you are interested or just want more input on the subject.

John
DoctorDucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019   #25

Black Hawk, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorDucky View Post
I did a lot of research on this a couple years ago and ended up purchasing a Lehr 10 hp long shaft propane motor. It's really the only way to go. You cannot carry enough battery capacity unless you are just trolling along flat water for a few hours and gasoline is a real hazard on a raft. With the Lehr we were able to hook up 8 rafts and move them along at up to 6 MPH. The problem is cost - I have about $3K into the setup which includes extra props and an industrial 40 pound aluminum propane tank. I am thinking of selling this as I don't boat much these days so post if you are interested or just want more input on the subject.

John
Thanks for the offer, but I am going to get a Tohatsu propane motor. The reviews are better than the Lehr, and the construction is a bit more sturdy.
Old 05-17-2019   #26

Vancouver Isl, BC
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorDucky View Post

John
Why is gasoline such a hazard on a raft?
harrywatson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019   #27

Black Hawk, Colorado
[/QUOTE]

Why is gasoline such a hazard on a raft?[/QUOTE]

Personally, I dislike the smell, on the boat and the exhaust behind the boat. Also it is easy much more combustible than a tank of propane. If it sits in the sun too long it can build up lots of pressure as well. Spilling it onto the raft can also cause damage over time. It can make all the gear it sits next to smell like gas forever.
Old 05-17-2019   #28

Black Hawk, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNichols View Post
I have a 5HP Tohatsu that works great, Used it this year on a GC motor out to Pearce. Used a Lehr last year, compared to the Tohatsu it's a Chinese POS, cheap everything. Funny thing is the prices are comparable. Just like a 4 stroke, it holds oil in the crankcase, so you do have to store it on it's side, but wasn't a real problem for me.

https://www.tohatsu.com/outboards/5_4st_lpg.html

is what I bought, I'd buy it again. Is quieter than most too, an added bonus

What kind of boat do you have? What length motor did you get, the 20 or the 25
Old 05-17-2019   #29

Hi,

I used a 20 inch shaft Honda on my NRS E-140, with no problem keeping the prop in the water.

A 25 incher might cavitate a bit less in fast water, but for purely flat water use with normal diameter tubes, I would judge 20" would be fine.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190517_163030_1558128716503.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	35031  
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019   #30

Black Hawk, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by richp View Post
Hi,

I used a 20 inch shaft Honda on my NRS E-140, with no problem keeping the prop in the water.

A 25 incher might cavitate a bit less in fast water, but for purely flat water use with normal diameter tubes, I would judge 20" would be fine.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
Do you mean ventilate as opposed to cavitate? Cavitation means damage occurring to the propeller, ventilation refers to the propeller sucking in air, mostly from the propeller not being in the water?

I will be using this primarily in the river, so Im worried either the 20 wont be long enough, or the 25 will be too long.