Motor for raft - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-15-2019   #11

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgilbane View Post
Also, do you think going up to the 9 hp Tohatsu would be worth while? Or would it just burn more gas at the same speed?

I don't have any photos of it on the boat, I bought it for the grand canyon motor out and we were about photo'd out by the end. Not to mention that after almost 40 years of boating, I don't really take pics of gear anymore LOL

The 5 HP at full throttle moved 5 boats at 7MPH according to the GPS and burned about 2/3 of a 17 gallon composite propane bottle at full throttle, so I'd say about 12 lbs of propane in 5 hours of motoring. I wasn't in a mood to save fuel, brought a dedicated bottle for the motor, and half throttle was moving us along at about 5MPH, so I gained 10 miles at full throttle over the length of the trip, would have been 2 more hours at half throttle.

I can't see where another 4 HP would have made much of a difference to tell the truth, the most speed I ever got with my 15 hp 2 stroke pushing boats was 7MPH, so....

I bet it would up the fuel consumption, and the weight as well. The 5 HP did just fine, no complaints at all from me, nothing but praise.

MNichols is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019   #12

Black Hawk, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNichols View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgilbane View Post
Also, do you think going up to the 9 hp Tohatsu would be worth while? Or would it just burn more gas at the same speed?

I don't have any photos of it on the boat, I bought it for the grand canyon motor out and we were about photo'd out by the end. Not to mention that after almost 40 years of boating, I don't really take pics of gear anymore LOL

The 5 HP at full throttle moved 5 boats at 7MPH according to the GPS and burned about 2/3 of a 17 gallon composite propane bottle at full throttle, so I'd say about 12 lbs of propane in 5 hours of motoring. I wasn't in a mood to save fuel, brought a dedicated bottle for the motor, and half throttle was moving us along at about 5MPH, so I gained 10 miles at full throttle over the length of the trip, would have been 2 more hours at half throttle.

I can't see where another 4 HP would have made much of a difference to tell the truth, the most speed I ever got with my 15 hp 2 stroke pushing boats was 7MPH, so....

I bet it would up the fuel consumption, and the weight as well. The 5 HP did just fine, no complaints at all from me, nothing but praise.
I’m going to go with the 5hp for my 14 foot RMR. I have an adjustable motor mount that can raise up and lower down to the water. I got the setup from Downriver Equipment in Colorado. This is the setup:

https://www.downriverequip.com/frame...build-pid-2404

Now I just need to figure out what length to get the transom in, 15”, 20”, or 25”.

Also, I see the Tohatsu’s that come in 20” & 25” come with a 12v charging system and a high thrust prop.

Being newer to outboards, what are the advantages to having those options?
Cgilbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019   #13

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1980
Motor for raft

I just got the 6 horse Tohatsu 25 shaft. For a rmr 16. Hoping to get it on the water next week I will post an update as soon as we get the on water trials done. The motor is going to be used to take the boat fishing on lakes, crabbing in the bays, and pushing a flotilla down the snake,Owyhee,etc.
Bobthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2019   #14

Black Hawk, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobthegreat View Post
I just got the 6 horse Tohatsu 25” shaft. For a rmr 16’. Hoping to get it on the water next week I will post an update as soon as we get the on water trials done. The motor is going to be used to take the boat fishing on lakes, crabbing in the bays, and pushing a flotilla down the snake,Owyhee,etc.
Is it gas or propane?
Old 05-16-2019   #15

Bend, Oregon
It’s gas, came with a 3gal tank. 4 stroke.
Old 05-16-2019   #16

Bend, Oregon
Its the sail pro one.
Old 05-16-2019   #17

Black Hawk, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobthegreat View Post
It’s the sail pro one.
I have a 14 rmr. Do you think the 20” would have been too short for your boat? Do you think the 25” is too long? (Goes too deep into the water?
Old 05-16-2019   #18

Bend, Oregon
Well my thought was get the longer one, can be used on more types of boats. As far as the shaft length and the raft I won’t know till after memorial weekend, hitting the Grande Ronde River tomorrow, it’s cranking! Then I’m branding cattle the next weekend. But I’ll let you know. If it’s to long I will just adjust the transom height. Easy fix.
Old 05-16-2019   #19

Bend, Oregon
Trying it out with a friends recretec mount.
Old 05-16-2019   #20

Bend, Oregon
Plus the 25’ had a better prop.