More Mini Max/Hyside Questions - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-24-2015   #1

Gunnison, colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
More Mini Max/Hyside Questions

I just recently bought a Mini Max, and have only had her out for a few Pine Creek and Numbers laps on the Arkansas....I don't even have a name for her yet
My question is, has anyone noticed any construction differences with Hysides smaller boats compared to their lager boat lines? Is there anything I should look out for or take extra care of as far as build quality? I only ask because to me when comparing my Max to some of their other boats it does some like there are some build differences. I'm sure they're bomber but I just want my little boat to have a long life.

Advertisement

Old 05-24-2015   #2

Cave Creek, Arizona
Going off of Hyside's website. They are constructed the same as the bigger boats. However Hyside has two raft series, Outfitter and pro. The Mini-Max is part of the outfitter series and uses a 1680 fabric while the Pro series uses a 2520 fabric.
InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015   #3

Sheridan, Colorado
They do use the outfitter series material which helps make the raft just a little lighter but it's more than enough considering your max will be holding a fraction of the weight compared to a larger commercial raft. Super durable raft and excellent quality. We generally don't see them in the repair shop for any quality related issues, just D-rings, footcups, logos and the like. They also happen to be one of those boats that have amazing resale value. Have fun with it!
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2015   #4
KegFloat

West Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
As soon as you name her she'll treat you right. The TLC you give her with 303 and a good cleaning she will last you for many years.
TapStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015   #5

Gunnison, colorado
Thanks for the info fellas! To date I'm only familiar with Aire boats, so basically I will take any advice I can get on Hyside...I still have to come up with a name. I'm leaning toward "Shitrunner" seeing that it will spend a majority of it's life on lV-V
Old 05-25-2015   #6

montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffGonG View Post
Thanks for the info fellas! To date I'm only familiar with Aire boats, so basically I will take any advice I can get on Hyside...I still have to come up with a name. I'm leaning toward "Shitrunner" seeing that it will spend a majority of it's life on lV-V
If your only familiar with AIRE boats, then the only thing that you need to do differently for a hyside is not worry about cleaning zippers, fiddling with bladders, cleaning mildew and moisture from between the bladder and the shell, ect.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015   #7

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Just got home from Westwater for the weekend where we noticed a very small leak coming from a seam on the front of our shiny new mini-max. Nothing that effected air pressure through out the day, just a little worrisome.
Ninja_Nico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015   #8

Gunnison, colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja_Nico View Post
Just got home from Westwater for the weekend where we noticed a very small leak coming from a seam on the front of our shiny new mini-max. Nothing that effected air pressure through out the day, just a little worrisome.
That is a bit worrisome. How did you discover the leak? What do you think your next course of action will be? I have found that my floor doesn't hold air as well as my Puma did.
Old 05-25-2015   #9

Minturn, Colorado
Puncture? Or blown out seam? Either way not cool at all for a new boat. Sorry to hear this. Wondering if it was self inflicted? My mini max neo has seen some shit lately....

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Sherpa9543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015   #10

Golden, Colorado
One of the kayakers in our group was floating next to our boat and said she heard a leak. We stopped for lunch and sure enough.

The leak is in the seam and I think has to do with the original gluing. The boat has seen about 5 days in the water.

The boat was purchased from DRE, so I'm going to talk with them and see what they think. Then may start contacting hyside if need be.

This is a small leak and totally manageable, I'm just a little worried about the rest of the seam work if this one went so quick.

Any advice? First raft I've ever owned.
Ninja_Nico is offline   Reply With Quote