More Cot Options. - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-04-2015   #1

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
More Cot Options.

I like the Camp Time Roll-A-Cot but I CANNOT BELIEVE WHAT THEY HAVE RAISED THEIR PRICE TO!!!!!!!
Especially in such a short period. Perfect example of good folks gone greedy.

Anyway I’m looking for other options. There are some light ones out there but most of the ultralight versoins are only an inch or two off of the ground. My requirements are as follow:
1 At least 10” high
2 light
3 packable.
4 simple as possible.

Are there any other thoughts or experiences out there? Thanks.

ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2015   #2

Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Maybe this at REI? About $80. I haven't seen it, just online.

REI Camp Folding Cot - REI.com
David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015   #3

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Slept a few nights on one and have them on my radar, but do not own one.

I guess I don't really see ~10lbs and packed size of 36x5x5 (camp time deluxe) as being light or packable. REI's website has several that meet your criteria, but for low price you get heavier and bulkier with an REI version noted below, Camp Time is in the middle, and the Helinox tall for the win! (but obnoxious price)

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/De...elinox/highcot
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2015   #4

aurora, Colorado
Camp time stuff is made in the US, last Big Agnes thing I picked up and looked at was china.
sea hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015   #5

Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2012
I use one of these and think they're a great value
just_gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015   #6

Jenks, Oklahoma
Camp Time rollacots and other products are about as bulletproof as camp gear gets. I have them all and they are just great for rafting trips. Decades of trips on mine and it all looks basically good as new.

I recently got into IK's and self support out of them. Started looking at the Helinox chairs and cots from Big Agnes. I have the hi back chair and the low cot. So far they have been great. Light weight and easy to pack. Construction is really good and my take is given reasonable care they will last for many trips. A benefit of the low cot is that I can put the cot inside my back packing tent during rain times. Helinox is made down under in the land of OZ.

In a raft, the Camp Time stuff is the way to go. In my IK's the Big Agnes Helinox gear works like a charm.

Both manufacturers offer really good products.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015   #7

Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 2004
I have a Cabelas Camp Cot. It looks like the one with the square aluminum tube frame up above. It takes about thirty seconds to set up, is extremely comfortable, and it fits in my chair dry bag. If you watch sales you can get them for less than $50, and you can get an optional "nightstand" with pockets to hold gear.

I was going to go with a Roll Cot but I could not justify the cost. After trying one I actually like the fold up style cots better.

Kyle
Wiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015   #8
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1coby View Post
I like the Camp Time Roll-A-Cot but I CANNOT BELIEVE WHAT THEY HAVE RAISED THEIR PRICE TO!!!!!!!
Especially in such a short period. Perfect example of good folks gone greedy.

Greedy? I don't see it:

the regular cot is currently $128. I am 6' and 200 pounds and regular works great for me. I got mine in the late 1990s I believe in the $70 range. That translates to about an average annual increase in cost of 3%/year. $128 doesn't seam excessive and the rate of change doesn't seem out of line.
If you need a bigger cot then you pay more. If you are way over 6' tall you are just gonna get screwed on all that tall person stuff. If you are a fat bastard, eat less and exercise more.

The roll-a-table has risen in cost in a similar fashion, with the current price equaling a 3% average annual increase per year since I bought mine in the late 1990s, paid around $45 or so back then and its $82 now.

current prices:
http://www.campspecialties.com/index.html#Roll-a-Cot

An equivalent average annual increase of 3% is pretty much inline with the economic growth rate of the United States over that time, which I don't think any one would characterize as high.
http://www.multpl.com/us-gdp-growth-rate/table/by-year

I can tell you that $70 for a cot in the latter 1990s seamed a lot higher to me then, than $128 does now.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015   #9

Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 2004
But in the 90's did you have a option that offered you a similar quality and a easier set up for less than half the price?

Kyle
Wiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015   #10
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
As long as I have been alive, there has been another cheap option to american made products form China, so I assume so.

One thing that sets the rolly cots apart is that the bed does not absorb water, even if it gets wet, it drys very quickly. You get a cloth cot wet and it takes awhile, and for those of us that boat in the spring and winter, that is an important consideration.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote