Minimum temps for gluing Hypalon? - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-18-2018   #1
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Minimum temps for gluing Hypalon?

Hey guys, wondering how low of temperatures people have glued in successfully? I need to glue some D-rings, and can warm up the material with my heat gun, but it is getting pretty cold up here( 20-30 F range, or colder)
NRS says optimum temp is 75 F, and cooler temps will slow down the cure ( I am fine with that) could not find past threads on the subject.

Thanks in advance, if anyone knows!!

Matt

Advertisement

Old 12-18-2018   #2

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Tent it and warm the boat up with an electric heater. While you can warm the boat and the D-ring with the heat gun, you want to keep it warm while the glue cures.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018   #3

C. Springs, Colorado
I wouldn't go below about 60 F if it was me. Can you drag the boat in your house for the night after you glue it? I heat my garage for at least 48 hours after I glue or patch anything on my boats.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2018   #4
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Ive had riverside repairs work down into the high forties. Wouldn't want to do that at home. Never had to patch in colder temps...yet. Certainly don't let it freeze.

D rings can be a pretty high stress item. Find somewhere that will stay above 50 for 2 days and you'll be fine.

FWIW, Ive always kept the shop at 62 in the winter.
Old 12-18-2018   #5

Tabernash, Colorado
Thank you very much for the responses!
I can come up with a warm place to move my boat to after I do the gluing, so I will go for doing the repairs outside with the heat gun, then move it. Also really good to know, for river side repairs, since I do a lot of winter time boating. I will plan on using the hot tent to move a repair to, if I ever have to fix a boat on one of those trips.

Thanks again!
Old 12-18-2018   #6

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Heat your can of glue up, in a pan of boiling water first, so it's nice and smooth like on a 90 day. If you have to patch or repair in the cold weather it works better when the glue is very warm. Might not, have to drain your cooler as much eather.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018   #7

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
A space heater in an insulated garage with fresh glue go a long way towards good results this time of year.
DoStep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018   #8

C. Springs, Colorado
A friend of mine needed to do the same thing as you and do some patching and installing a few D rings on an old boat he bought. It was winter and he didn't have a garage or the heart to tell his wife about the new purchase. While she was at work, he did his gluing and decided to put the boat inside the house to cure. He rookie rolled it (loose) and wrangled it into the basement where he put it on end, put a piece of ply on top of it and covered it with a tablecloth. About a month later she noticed it........
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018   #9

Tres Piedras, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1979
I just thin the glue and add a bit of extra catalyst when its cold. Id say 45-50 would be the lowest temp I'd recommend. Warmer is better though.
newpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018   #10

Tabernash, Colorado
Thanks guy's! Appreciate the advice, and always good to know more about glue work!

Ya, definitely could affect cooler draining, Raymo I'm thinking that I may be able to get away without draining on Sundays and Thursday's, but possibly will still need to drain on Weds, that is, IF the tide is high when I get to Lava, and there is a full moon out?

Have a good one!

Matt