Mini Max or the New Max 12.0 - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-07-2017   #1

Blue River, Colorado
Mini Max or the New Max 12.0

I have wanted a mini max since maybe 2011. When I was buying my small Gunny boat maybe (3) seasons ago, I got a RMR 12.0 - budget was a driving factor at that time. Friends said that 10.5 in a storm (new at that time) would be too small and that I needed a 14er. I went middle of the road with 12'. It's been a good boat - durable but heavy.

I like the idea of the removable floor in case of a need to replace versus the mini max, but the weight has always been an issue.

Now I have the opportunity to get a hyside a small discount. I was going to get the max finally, but looking at that max 12.0 has me interested. Has anyone paddled one. I would sell my 12' RMR, and maybe at some point get a 14' when funds became available.

Thx

cdcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2017   #2

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
What rivers will you be boating and how will you be using it, R2 day trips, rowing multiday desert trips? I don't know of anyone having to replace the floor on a hyside, though I've heard one older model had a problem with the baffles.

Do you like having a 12 footer? Would the only reason be to cut weight? I think by asking you are wanting to try something different. If you are also going to get a 14 footer then absolutely get the mini max. If it will be your only boat for creeks and multi days stick with the twelve. I have done three day RH trips with my girlfriend and dog in a mini max, and it is doable if cramped, but 90% of that boat's use in R2ing on small CO rivers.

The max 12 weighs 25 pounds more. Being able to load the mini max onto the roof of my 4runner alone is nice, but if you are paddle rafting with more people often it would cramped.
Decide based on what/how you boat.

Also keep in mind, the Hysides keep their value so if you wanted to sell it after a season you wouldn't take a big hit.
almortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017   #3

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
The Max 12.0 seems about the same size and use as a Aire Puma. I'm sure it would be great for R2 to R4 use and having fun on small rivers. I'm sure you could do a small oar frame for it too. Its just over a foot narrower then your RMR, which to me translates to a lot less room to carry cargo. I'm sure it would be great for a Westwater or other short trip, but might struggle on its own for much longer then that.

I agree with Almortal. If you think its likely you'd get a 14' raft in addition to a Max series boat, the Mini Max seems like the better fit. The Max 12.0 seems like too close for having both to be useful. Now, if you ended up getting a 16' for multi-day and bigger rivers, then the 12.0 might be less redundant.

Either would be a blast to have and it wouldn't be the first time someone had two rafts to serve similar duties.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2017   #4

Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2002
Mini Max

I have owned a mini max for the last two years and have been super stoked. I even broke mine and they sent me a brand new one (shows up in february). I have R2'd pumas, mini max's, minime's, 12's, and 14's. While having a twelve footer would be sick if you are doing a lot of guiding with 3-5 person crews....I feel as if a mini max administers more personal fun on the river. While I havent paddled the max 12, I have paddled the clear creek boat hyside designed and I would rather be in my mini max any day of the week.
Jimmy
nomadderwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017   #5

Blue River, Colorado
Sorry for the delayed response, it's been a busy beginning to the year. I wanted to thank you all for the feedback. To answer almortal's question, yes I do like the 12'er, but my main reason is to shed weight so that when I pack my boat into areas that are difficult, than I don't have to rely on pack-mules. And yes, I do intend to get a 14'er. I like the size of my 12' RMR, but it's too heavy for it's size. RMR's are great quality boats in my opinion, seem to be well made (though I am no expert on construction, but it hasn't given me any trouble). And at the time when buying my 1st boat it met the need. But if I had it to do over, I would've kept saving for what I really wanted.

But it all worked out in the end. I just picked up a new / old stock mini-max for what feels like a good deal and I can't wait to get it out on the river. If this warn weather keeps up, I might leave the skis hanging and get out on some low water.

Now, do I sell the 12'er, or keep it in the quiver? It worked well enough for R4 and some light gear. Where the mini max might be tight with 4 being a foot narrower and 18" shorter. Or, do I recoup some cash and get back to saving for the 14'. I notice the weight on the Aire Puma series has been reduced by a change in materials. Wish I had pulled the trigger when they were liquidating the closeouts. Curious to see if the lighter material is as durable.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Old 03-07-2017   #6

Montrose, Colorado
Semi-Random Thoughts

I don't see the real advantage of the Max 12.0 over the current Hyside 12. The Max is 4" longer, 4" narrower, and weighs 5 pounds more. Having taken a Hyside 12 down the Gunny Gorge at a few levels, I would rather have a bit lighter, than 4" narrower.

Regarding the 12' RMR. I owned and sold a 14' RMR - for exactly the same reasons you are considering. RMR are great on the river, but heavy when putting them on and getting them off the river. If you have a mini-max in your quiver, I would consider a larger boat for multi-day where you need to haul gear or any time you need more passengers. And if you have the chance to upgrade to a Hypalon or other quality lightweight boat, I would do so. I like the gear hauling capability of a 14' Pro series, but your needs may be different.

I am curious to see what frame / oar setup you plan to carry into the Gunny Gorge. I rowed a min-max with a Welfeldt frame and 8' oars down Westwater, and was not overly impressed with the setup. There is a bit more flex in the Welfeldt than I like, and the 8' oars are too short. I am cutting down a NRS 12' frame to fit my newly acquired mini-max, and trying to get it setup. My plan is to try some 9' oars I already own on some simple runs, and determine if I need to go to 8.5' or if 9's will work well. The NRS frame will be good for most things, but I may end up looking for a better option for carrying into the Gorge - I can always break it down and take two trips...
QuietHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017   #7

Blue River, Colorado
Q-Hunter, thx for the post. The MAX 12' is out of the picture for now. I like that size boat, but with a 10.5'er, it doesn't make sense unless cash becomes more readily available allowing many boats. I also considered a Puma or Super P, but the zippers and bladders seem like a hassle - I know people love their Aire's, and probably for good reason, but I am not sold on the bladder design.

Anyway, yeah I was debating between the Welfelt frame and RBW's. RBW's is located closer to me, and those guys seem great. Could also try and do it with an NRS frame, but I will visit RBW's to see what I can setup.

On the idea of a larger boat, that's what I'm debating right now. There is a 14' NRS otter in the buzz classifieds that would be a nice size, but it's tough convincing the Mrs. to let me get it. I was debating selling my 12' RMR, but not sure what I can get for it. It's got less than (20) days. Should I keep it and keep saving for a 3rd boat? If I sell it, is the otter gonna be the best long term solution? You mention the Hyside Pro, that would be awesome, but lotta dough. How does the 1100 D fabric compare even to the Hyside outfitter - more of an apples to apples comparison? Thx
Old 03-07-2017   #8

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietHunter View Post
I don't see the real advantage of the Max 12.0 over the current Hyside 12.
Longer straight tube, 3 thwarts and $300 cheaper.
SBranson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017   #9

Montrose, Colorado
Everyone's situation is different, but my guess is you will love the mini-max so much, that soon your 12' RMR will feel like a total pig in the water. This will be enough to make you want to upgrade. I sold my 14' RMR for similar reasons.

Hyside Outfitter vs Pro. I like two things about the Pro:
1. Bigger tubes. I have a 14' Pro which I would not hesitate to take on the Grand Canyon, but works very well for essentially everything else I can get it on. I have never felt I could overload it, yet it still dances on the water. In the 14' size you could get the Hyside XT, but once getting into that price range you might as well get the better fabric. In other sizes, there is not comparison.
2. Bomber. I boat with a guy who has the same basic boat - only his was built in the early 90's. It is truly a lifetime boat. You will have no reason to change.

You may not prefer the Pro if you do a lot of paddling (bigger tubes are harder to reach around), need to save a little weight, or a little money.

The NRS for sell looks like a good deal, and the guy selling is stand up.

Regarding the frame, it is my thought that you will love the Welfelt when packing into the Gunny Gorge (or similar), but would prefer the RBW style all other times. I am going with an NRS that ends up being configured a lot like the RBW (tractor seat, foot bar, cooler) because I have an NRS from a 12' that I have cut down to fit the mini-max. RBW had the advantage of rounded corners instead of side-rails, but is less configurable.
QuietHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017   #10

Ignacio, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
12 foot boat feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcfly View Post
Sorry for the delayed response, it's been a busy beginning to the year. I wanted to thank you all for the feedback. To answer almortal's question, yes I do like the 12'er, but my main reason is to shed weight so that when I pack my boat into areas that are difficult, than I don't have to rely on pack-mules. And yes, I do intend to get a 14'er. I like the size of my 12' RMR, but it's too heavy for it's size. RMR's are great quality boats in my opinion, seem to be well made (though I am no expert on construction, but it hasn't given me any trouble). And at the time when buying my 1st boat it met the need. But if I had it to do over, I would've kept saving for what I really wanted.

But it all worked out in the end. I just picked up a new / old stock mini-max for what feels like a good deal and I can't wait to get it out on the river. If this warn weather keeps up, I might leave the skis hanging and get out on some low water.

Now, do I sell the 12'er, or keep it in the quiver? It worked well enough for R4 and some light gear. Where the mini max might be tight with 4 being a foot narrower and 18" shorter. Or, do I recoup some cash and get back to saving for the 14'. I notice the weight on the Aire Puma series has been reduced by a change in materials. Wish I had pulled the trigger when they were liquidating the closeouts. Curious to see if the lighter material is as durable.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Good Morning....I have been reading your post because I am trying as well to decide about a smaller boat. I think I want a 12-Aire...but have access to a great 13'4" Aire. So.....any performance comments on these two sizes for bigger water.
PS If you decide to sell that 12' I would be very interested. thanks
dwlkr is offline   Reply With Quote