Mini max and Super Puma Hybrid - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-04-2015   #1

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Mini max and Super Puma Hybrid

https://hyside.com/product/outfitter-12-5-hdb/

I didn't know this boat existed till yesterday so thought id share.... dimensions of a mini max but stretched to 12.5 feet. would be a very versatile boat! might be a contender for those looking for a small raft...

GratefulOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2015   #2

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1964
Not sure I'd want that sideways in a hole! Would be fun with a bunch of folks though...if they were good swimmers !
I was looking for a small boat that was easy to roll, and really like Hyside's 12 foot outfitter...Went another direction, but it was a close second...
dscott58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015   #3

Carbondale, Colorado
meh. depends on the hole... lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2015   #4

Carbondale, Colorado
hyside said it was designed with the Nolichucky and Chatooga in mind.... the boat is 1 foot longer and 6 inches narrower than a Aire Puma... I see your point about its side surf capabilities, but I think this would be very fun boat, in the mini-raft realm!!

But yeah im with ya. Hyside and Sotar are my favorite boats. I have a Sotar SL IK and I love it! would really love a Sotar Raft but its not in the budget yet... theres a purple used 14 foot Sotar on their website that I would love to own!
Old 02-04-2015   #5

Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
Ok, the Hot Dog Bun?

The mini max does like to get get sideways.... maybe the extra length on the "bun" would help it punch thru and get out.
Old 02-04-2015   #6

Carbondale, Colorado
that's what I was thinking oar frame. ,,, plus it would just be a hoot to be able to take 7 people on a mini raft! lol.
Old 02-04-2015   #7

Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
WANT!

I had no ide this existed. This would be perfect for some runs around here and have been waiting for one of the old skinny pumas to come up for sale.

"The Hotdog Bun"...now that's funny, because one float I had in mind for this boat some of us have nicknamed "The Hotdog run".
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kanzam View Post
WANT!

I had no ide this existed. This would be perfect for some runs around here and have been waiting for one of the old skinny pumas to come up for sale.

"The Hotdog Bun"...now that's funny, because one float I had in mind for this boat some of us have nicknamed "The Hotdog run".
Aire Puma, frame, oars - Mountain Buzz Gear Swap

Old skinny puma for sale! Posted recently. Do it!!!
k2andcannoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015   #9

Fort Collins, Colorado
Longer and narrower than my recently acquired JPW Fatboy. Interesting, I'm in.
mervo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015   #10

Idaho Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
So since I've actually run one of these as a prototype during the 2013 rafting season on Clear Creek I thought I'd contribute my thoughts.

CC is run lower commercially than both the Noli and Chattooga, it gets thru skinny sluts (southern fried creekin' reference), but it's not worth much else. As started previously, you wouldn't want it sideways in a hole, it's terribly hard to dig out of a solid side surf, kinda fun if you're only concerned with your safety. The wiener boat is pretty tippy and I've even seen it pinned in a pinball/tight slot situation. They don't track like a mini max or a regular hyside, more like a shredder/cataraft. I imagine that could be attributed to it's intention as a "creek" raft. I also found it took far more effort to pivot from the stern than a full-size raft with comparable crew.

Having done Clear Creek from Dumont to 260.5 in one of these things from 400 down to 100 cfs for a total of approx. 100mi. During 15-20 commercial and recreational trips I feel like it's design and intention are novel but very niche driven and while I'd run anything in a mini-max I wouldn't feel secure running solid class IV or big water in this thing. Fun, but not the ideal boat for my preferred style of boating.
TravisaurusWrecks is offline   Reply With Quote