Mil pro adventure - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-14-2015   #1

Bluffdale, Utah
Paddling Since: 1967
Mil pro adventure

First season done with my Milpro adventure raft. Listened to all you buzz people on raft and gear. This is one great raft . Would recommend to any one looking for quality no issues and I beat the crap out of it. Adventure raft, 10 ft sawyer square tops, Cambridge boxes,(Cy's the man) and aluminum pipe frame using suggestions from from bunch of you buzz friends. Thanks for all your help, go big or go home!

Advertisement

Old 12-14-2015   #2
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
We ran a Scout on the Yaugh, New, and Gauley this year and noticed the fabric was not as tough as older Avon or even the NRS Expedition rafts. Sweet to see the styles made one last time, but not quite Avon quality in my opinion.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
My teenage daughter and I ran a milpro adventurer on Lodore last summer. We thought it ran great. It behaves like any of our other avons. I feel if you were lucky enough to grab one while they were available, you'll have a great boat to enjoy for many years.
https://youtu.be/-8504iYXeG4
yardsells is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2016   #4

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsells View Post
I feel if you were lucky enough to grab one while they were available, you'll have a great boat to enjoy for many years.
https://youtu.be/-8504iYXeG4
so does that mean they are no longer available? I was looking seriously at them over a year ago. I really wanted a 16' but I was bummed they used single sided hypalon instead of double sided the way that Avon made them originally. And for the price they are charging I can get a Hyside made with the double sided hypalon. Too bad all in all. These had good potential.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1coby View Post
so does that mean they are no longer available? I was looking seriously at them over a year ago. I really wanted a 16' but I was bummed they used single sided hypalon instead of double sided the way that Avon made them originally. And for the price they are charging I can get a Hyside made with the double sided hypalon. Too bad all in all. These had good potential.
Uh... kinda... Double sided "hypalon" coated fabric hasn't really been around for tube assemblies since the cooper rubber days of pre-zodiac avons in the late 80's. There are a ton of post '90 avons running around still in commercial use with the zodiac standard aerazur fabric. I own a 94 zodiac FC470 that has seen combat and still holds air like a champ. I digress...

There is floor fabric for bucket boats still around which is double sided but they're generally not ideal for tube material because of their denier and coating weight. Besides, "hypalon" isn't that great of an air holder. Neoprene on the other hand is, hence the coating on the inside of modern "hypalon" coated fabrics.

Hypalon was discontinued by Dupont some time ago so most "Hypalon" coated fabric is actually the generic CSM or chlorosulphonated polyethylene.

Hyside doesn't use a "double sided" fabric. You might have it confused with their "double denier" marketing which references their panama weave scrim cloth construction. Samgong fabric (Hyside) is neoprene on the air-holding side and "Hypalon" on the outside. Bombproof fabric I might add.

Since the Zodiac/Avon/Milpro shakeup, they're not really building river boats for general stock. They'll build you river boats for a quantity order although I don't know what that number is. I'm po.

I think I heard through the grapevine that Zack over at Whitewater Inflatable Repair (a partner here) has access to 4 or 5 Milpro 16'ers. I think he mentioned a pretty awesome price on them... just sayin.

I dig your handle.
yardsells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016   #6

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
While learning about all of the different fabric options Hysid told me they are using Double sided hypalon on the entire Pro-Series rafts. That was last year.

Unless I was mistaken, but I've never been mistaken before so...
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016   #7

Bluffdale, Utah
Paddling Since: 1967
No holes in my boat

Don't know about thin material. My new adventurer is every bit as tough as the older hypalon Avon we ran commercially down cat. 3 16 footers left at IBC I'm thinking about one as an investment better than the stock market. Be safe and good luck on the lottery.
Old 01-13-2016   #8
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1coby View Post
While learning about all of the different fabric options Hysid told me they are using Double sided hypalon on the entire Pro-Series rafts. That was last year.

Unless I was mistaken, but I've never been mistaken before so...
I've been inside a modern pro and it was not 2 sided. Also they don't weigh enough for this to be true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug.shapiro View Post
Don't know about thin material. My new adventurer is every bit as tough as the older hypalon Avon we ran commercially down cat. 3 16 footers left at IBC I'm thinking about one as an investment better than the stock market. Be safe and good luck on the lottery.
Glad you like it, but it isn't the same rubber and it isn't as tough as the old Avons. Sweet boats, but I think NRS and Hyside have a better product - and better warranty.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote