Mid 90's Hysides - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-18-2014   #1

Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Mid 90's Hysides

General question - I'm looking into buying a mid-90's Hyside... it was used as a commercial paddle boat for the first portion of its life and for the last 10 years has been a devoted fishing/family float raft.

Any opinions on Hysides from this era? It's a 146 with the yellow strip around the outside, lace-in floor and thwarts, military valves, etc.

Just curious if there's anything I should be particularly wary of... or thoughts/opinions about an older Hyside vs. other brands.

trickpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2014   #2

Paonia, Colorado
hi,
check for a pressure relive valve in floor. i pulled the yellow strip that was cracked and de-laminating and painted with urethane , looks good, but was a lot of work. good boats if the hypalon is still supple.
good luck
Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #3

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
the only older hyside specific thing i would look carefully at would be the rubber valve boots that seat the military valves. it's a pain in the ass repair if they are dry rotting. it's easy to overlook if not paying attention too.

also, lightly snug for the military valves. don't over tighten. as with any boat, always carry a spare valve.

bombproof boats otherwise. the one i had still looked nearly new until i sold it to downsize from 16ft to 14ft a few years ago. i never had any issues personally.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2014   #4

River City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Great raft. I owned one of that vintage for a while. It's pretty common for the yellow strip to partially separate from the tubes because it's stiffer then the rubber when it gets deflated and rolled. Some of those vintage hysides are narrower then modern boats of the same length so make sure the frame and gear you want will fit. Make sure to flip it over and get a good look at the grommets and lacing. They can really get chewed up if ran in a lot of low water trip, but are repairable.

They are not the sports car of the rafting world but do fine, and they can take a serious beating. I would buy one of those without hesitation, as long as it's in otherwise good condition and the price you want.
OregonRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #5

C. Springs, Colorado
As others have stated.....they are a bomber boat I wouldn't be afraid to take down any run on any river. That said, for an old commercial boat as you've described....I would pay no more than $1500.00. One of the big things people do is overtighten the 6 screws around the valve thus stripping them. Blow it up and check for leaks around the valves and gently put a screw driver to them if they look loose or are leaking. If they are stripped.....call AAA and get a price of fixing it before you buy it.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #6
www.bigwaterraft.com

Logan, Salt Lake, Utah
Paddling Since: 2002
How much are you paying? I know echo canyon in canyon city was selling a bunch of hysides a bit newer than that for like $1500 a while back.

I had a 96 hyside that I loved. It was awesome. The main problem I had with it was that the military valve on the floor sucked, and it let water in the floor, making it delaminates and separate. Once that happens, might as well buy a new boat. So make sure you don't get water in that floor. If you do, don't let it dry in the sun.

If the price is over like $1000 though, the. You are better off calling up echo canyon, or waiting for some other boats to come up, and get a newer one.
b_liner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #7
www.bigwaterraft.com

Logan, Salt Lake, Utah
Paddling Since: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post
As others have stated.....they are a bomber boat I wouldn't be afraid to take down any run on any river. That said, for an old commercial boat as you've described....I would pay no more than $1500.00. One of the big things people do is overtighten the 6 screws around the valve thus stripping them. Blow it up and check for leaks around the valves and gently put a screw driver to them if they look loose or are leaking. If they are stripped.....call AAA and get a price of fixing it before you buy it.
Easier fix is to take the valve off, then line the boot with aqua seal, then screw the valve back on. It will last at least a couple years, probably more, and is way less expensive than the $300 or so it takes for aaa to take it off and put leafiekds.
b_liner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #8

Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_liner1 View Post
Easier fix is to take the valve off, then line the boot with aqua seal, then screw the valve back on. It will last at least a couple years, probably more, and is way less expensive than the $300 or so it takes for aaa to take it off and put leafiekds.

I have a 1981 hyside that is probably as much aquaseal as it is hypalon. Valve boots, PRV valve, wear gaurds, thwarts...

Great boat though....it was given to me for free.

I agree I wouldn't poay over $1000 for one.

I know a guy that regularly has them from outfitters for $500-$750 a piece at the end of the season. They are usually beat up bad but they hold air well.
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote