Maxxon tubes...Repair or Replace? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-18-2018   #1

Houston, Texas
Paddling Since: 2011
Maxxon tubes...Repair or Replace?

I have a set of 12ft Maxxon toons that are about 5 years old. For my use, they have been a good value, but I apparently let them get too hot a couple months ago on a float trip. Now, all 4 end caps have small leaks, and 1 bladder has failed.

I am seeking opinions on whether I should either trash or repair and ideas as to where I could get them repaired if that is the way that I go. I live in Houston.

My research shows 2 options to replace at a reasonable price. NRS and Rocky Mountain. Any thoughts on these would also be appreciated.

Tight Lines..

UncleTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2018   #2

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
I would trash those tubes. Five years is very little time. If you are doing road side day trips then they may be worth trying to cobble together. If you are floating stretches where you donít want to or canít hike out, I would buy new ones.
tanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018   #3

Central Point, Oregon
Iíd be happy to get you a quote on RMR tubes. Email me directly [email protected]
Whitewater Worthy Equip is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2018   #4

Houston, Texas
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanderson View Post
I would trash those tubes. Five years is very little time. If you are doing road side day trips then they may be worth trying to cobble together. If you are floating stretches where you donít want to or canít hike out, I would buy new ones.
Very sound advice. Thanks for replying.
Old 11-10-2018   #5

Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewater Worthy Equip View Post
Iíd be happy to get you a quote on RMR tubes. Email me directly [email protected]
Hi Jake.

I am sending you an email today requesting a quote on the RMR tubes.
Old 11-10-2018   #6
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
That's a fast quote. Look out!
Old 11-10-2018   #7

Golden, Colorado
Maybe read this thread before going RMR and go in eyes wide open, if you choose it.

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/...ide-95731.html

Kind of a hit or miss brand, it seems.

Iíd go NRS, if thatís the only other choice. Or Aire since you donít mind PVC.
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018   #8

Golden, Colorado
And by NRS, Iím talking about their hypalon boats. You might be talking about their Outlaw series though. Iíve got nothing on that, if so. Coin flip on which sucks less, RMR or Outlaw.
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018   #9

Uncle Tom just requested the quote on 11/10 and it is pending, waiting on the Holiday weekend to clear.

He has done is own research on tube manufacturers and I support RMR Boats Fully. All Manufacturers have production issues and I personally know of many long drawn out issues with the boys in Merlin, Avon and the other big 3.

The Price point on the RMR Boats allow people to spend their money on their other gear or getting on the water. I have never had an issue with RMR that was not promptly addressed and resolved.
oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018   #10
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
Way to be there to defend rmr. I believe you posted on the wrong thread. There is a thread about rmr customer service that I think you meant to post this. No one attacked rmr. Griz was just suggesting he check out some other boats,. Sorry if his suggestion was not the same as yours. Personally I believe rubber is superior to plastic too, but this debate is pretty wore out so let's not get into it.