Marine plywood raft floor- ?'s - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 6 Days Ago   #1
fat guy in a little boat

FtC / Rancho del Rio, Colorado
Paddling Since: 8AM
Marine plywood raft floor- ?'s

So I'm gonna try to use a sheet of 3/4 marine grade plywood for a floor board on my 16foot Hyside. With the cooler, water jugs, kitchen box and rocket boxes on it, I figured it'd be stronger than those plastic sheets....
But. Should I coat it with something??
My last floor was just cheapo plywood, and it only lasted a couple trips.
Is Marine plywood good enough on its own, or will it rot and de laminate too??
Should I coat it in urethane??
I assume things like Thompsons Water Sealent for decks would be bad for the rubber...
Maybe just linseed oil??

What do you guys think?? Anyone else using a Marine plywood floor??

Thanks for any input I can get!!

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
- Spicoli
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 6 Days Ago   #2

Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
I painted mine with a couple of coats of deck/porch/patio paint from Lowe's, has held up great for a couple of seasons now.
heyben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #3

Hampden, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
I have a plywood casting deck that I applied a few coats of polyurethane. Had no problems when I stored the deck in the garage. But when stored outside for two months, the polyurethane cracked, splintered and began peeling off (UV and rain damage). Your mileage may vary.

I like your linseed oil idea.
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 6 Days Ago   #4

Defiance, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Skip the marine plywood, cover with spar varnish or marine paint, probably need to re-coat every year or two
noahfecks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #5

Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2015
I painted mine with the epoxy one uses for bar tops. Made sure to get the edges good. I threw some light sand on it for traction. It's been in use for a couple year and seems and looks brand new to me.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/FAMOWOOD...0080/301826159
wack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #6

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I have built several plywood floors and can share my experience...

1. Plywood comes in lots of grades. Marine grade is great, but you could get by with an exterior rated XCD or XAC
(X = exterior glue A,B,C,D = is the grade of surface finish, A grade is knot free, B grade has knots cut out and filled with 'footballs' D grade will have exposed knots and voids in the layers) 3/4" thick is good, I tried some at 5/8" and was too bouncy. Don't use pressure treated plywood, the treated wood won't help and the splinters are toxic.

Here in Colorado the marine grade is not commonly stocked. You will probably need to special order it. Not all marine grade is rated for exterior use.

2. Exterior deck/patio paint will out perform spar varnish or polyurethane varnish for all wet contact applications. Linseed oil will not work well underwater.

3. Seal the edges and voids before painting. The exposed grain at the edges, knots, and voids will suck water deep into the plywood. Seal these with 2 ton epoxy thinned with denatured alcohol (thin to the consistency of cream) I like to give one coat to all exposed edges, then a second coat over the whole board.
2 part wood filler or auto body filler is good for filling voids.

Note: epoxy alone has poor UV resistance. This can be corrected by over painting with deck/patio paint. Or by adding UV blocking pigment to the epoxy.

I have some deck boards made of 3/4" XAC plywood that are still going strong after 5 years.
kengore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #7

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
This!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kengore View Post
I have built several plywood floors and can share my experience...

1. Plywood comes in lots of grades. Marine grade is great, but you could get by with an exterior rated XCD or XAC
(X = exterior glue A,B,C,D = is the grade of surface finish, A grade is knot free, B grade has knots cut out and filled with 'footballs' D grade will have exposed knots and voids in the layers) 3/4" thick is good, I tried some at 5/8" and was too bouncy. Don't use pressure treated plywood, the treated wood won't help and the splinters are toxic.

Here in Colorado the marine grade is not commonly stocked. You will probably need to special order it. Not all marine grade is rated for exterior use.

2. Exterior deck/patio paint will out perform spar varnish or polyurethane varnish for all wet contact applications. Linseed oil will not work well underwater.

3. Seal the edges and voids before painting. The exposed grain at the edges, knots, and voids will suck water deep into the plywood. Seal these with 2 ton epoxy thinned with denatured alcohol (thin to the consistency of cream) I like to give one coat to all exposed edges, then a second coat over the whole board.
2 part wood filler or auto body filler is good for filling voids.

Note: epoxy alone has poor UV resistance. This can be corrected by over painting with deck/patio paint. Or by adding UV blocking pigment to the epoxy.

I have some deck boards made of 3/4" XAC plywood that are still going strong after 5 years.
Pretty much how I do it. I have had floors last 12+ years. Light sanding and retouching with deck paint every year, where needed.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #8

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
Pretty much how I do it. I have had floors last 12+ years. Light sanding and retouching with deck paint every year, where needed.

Use this stuff, https://www.penofin.com/wood-stains/...n-stain-sealer

It's the bomb, recoat once every 5 years or so.. Marine plywood is overkill..
MNichols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #9

NE, Oregon
Just use MDO and skip all the sealing and maintaince..
Willie 1.5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #10

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie 1.5 View Post
Just use MDO and skip all the sealing and maintaince..
Lots of people swear by MDO. I haven't, but have heard enough to do so next time.

I'd still want to seal the edges.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote