Marine plywood raft floor- ?'s - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-11-2019   #11

Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 2004
I use the best 3/4” plywood I can find and cover it with spray on truck bed liner. I had one floor in my foot well go bad and have to be replaced after two years. The rear beaver board and the replacement foot well floor are going strong after 6 and 4 years respectively with no maintenance.

Kyle

Wiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2019   #12

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
Does anybody know where to source 3/4" MDO in Grand Junction or Denver?
T.O.Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019   #13

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Use the lumberyard the larger contractors use. Ask for 3/4" MDO form ply.
If they don't stock it, they should be able to get it from their distributor.

Alternatively, ask an old-school sign shop where they'd get it.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2019   #14

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Home Depot's website says they have it

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3-4-in-x...5303/206461475
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #15

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
I was able to contact Intermountain Wood Products, and they can order it in.
Price is $89 for a 3/4" 4x8 sheet
and $75 for a 1/2" 4x8 sheet

I am making my captain's floor and my beaver board from them for my 16
and then floor, side decks, and beaver for my MiniMax
T.O.Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #16

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 70s
I've used oil based porch paint on my plywood trailer deck...you need to use a primer first but lasts well.....I've used spar varnish (oil based) on my plywood casting deck/floor also lasts well (I haven't used a primer but needs several coats over bare plywood) but I do another coat almost every year .....both would be good options in my opinion (my brother is a chemist who suggested the porch paint for the trailer surface).....but for a plywood floor I'd probably pick/do the spar varnish....Cheers, Chet
CROE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #17

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
If you use oil-based paints, try some alkyd hardener. You'll likely find it in the auto body paint supply store, but you can use it with regular rustoleum/krylon/etc commercial/industrial enamel paints--you don't have to buy auto body paint.

https://www.krylonindustrial.com/pro...yd-hardener-2/

Use 8:1 or 10:1 and thin slightly with naphtha. It will go on smoother, wet out nicely and generally flow out brush/roller marks. Dries to the touch faster, and cures harder. I use it on raft frames, hockey goals, trailers, my dory, ammo cans, propane tanks, oars...anything you'd use a rattle can or regular oil based paint on..but it makes it that much better.

I rarely use bomb cans anymore unless it's small/touchup as this system goes on so nicely and wears much harder.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #18

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie 1.5 View Post
Just use MDO and skip all the sealing and maintaince..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
Lots of people swear by MDO. I haven't, but have heard enough to do so next time.

I'd still want to seal the edges.
I certainly swear by it now. I used 1/2" for my side boards and 5/8" for the floors of my 146DD. All I did was cut it to fit, use a router to round the edges and cut holes for straps (also rounded) to hang the floor from the frame and secure boxes to the floor. No sealing or treatment done at all. It is holding up great. I have one floor that has probably seen 80-100 days or more and while it has scratches and has faded a little, is nowhere near wearing through. The side boards aren't far behind that number of days and the same. My only complaint is it kind of smells funky when it gets wet...but it gets better over time. I think its the glue they use to bind it all together.

When I bought my 16' Avon it had plywood floors front to back and one piece broke in half and I had to replace it. I decided to do the Marine Ply and Spar Varnish route for that (this was before I tried MDO). I did 4 coats over the whole thing. It started checking on the first trip out and just isn't holding up like I had hoped. Feels like it would take a lot of maintenance to keep it nice.

So yeah... I heavily prefer MDO. Its not cheap, but its also not crazy expensive either. Similar in price to the Marine Ply I've found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.Mac View Post
Does anybody know where to source 3/4" MDO in Grand Junction or Denver?
There are a bunch of places in Denver that carry it. As someone said, anywhere that caters to the concrete industry have it since they use it to make forms when they pour concrete.

I was unlucky the last time I bought it in that all the places that normally carry it for conctruction use had all sold through and had it on backorder.

My go to for weird plywood you can't find anywhere else is Austin Hardwoods, which is where I bought the last chunk of MDO for about $99 as I recall. It was either 5/8" or 3/4" 4'x8' sheet. I think the place that sells it for concrete use(but was out of it) was closer to $60 a sheet when they have it.

The other stuff I got I got from a friend that works for an Art transportation company. They make their crates from it and had a ton of off cuts. Unfortunately, the company sold to new owners and they were a lot more stingy about that stuff and that supply dried up. Like others have said, call around to a few sign shops that do outdoor signage. They use it heavily, and might have an off cut that fits your needs or could either sell you a whole sheet or tell you where they get it.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #19

marine plywood floor

I coated my marine plywood floor with flex seal, used spray can, it has been very durable and repairs are easy. works great!!!
pbcaine@allwest.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #20

Eagle, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I coated my marine plywood floor with flex seal, used spray can, it has been very durable and repairs are easy. works great!!!
Another bullet point for the infomercial!!!
Nubie Jon is offline   Reply With Quote