Maravia Zephyr - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-24-2013   #1

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Maravia Zephyr

Looking hard at a Zephyr- wondering if the folks that have them, or similar boats from Maravia- have added D rings or handles? The stock layout looks a little sparse- but if you folks find it's suitable, I'll take your word for it. Just wondering if an addl D ring in the middle, handle at the bow/stern is something you've added, or wished you had? Being a catboater, it's hard to grasp the idea of just 4 straps to attach my frame!

Thanks in advance-

Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2013   #2

Cottonwood Heights, Utah
Paddling Since: 1972
I have one. Very pleased with it as an all rounder type boat. Definitely would add D-rings. I would consider one additional to each the middle outside and inside as frame attachments. I also like, but probably wouldn't do it unless I had a lot of money, d-rings on the inside of the bow and stern. Three, one centered about 6 inches below the top of the tube and the others in line about 18 inches away. Makes a good grab handle on the inside if you use two tight cam straps. I did this on my 18 footer and love it. The four handles are adequate for a 15 footer.
mgpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #3
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgpaddler View Post
I have one. Very pleased with it as an all rounder type boat. Definitely would add D-rings. I would consider one additional to each the middle outside and inside as frame attachments. I also like, but probably wouldn't do it unless I had a lot of money, d-rings on the inside of the bow and stern. Three, one centered about 6 inches below the top of the tube and the others in line about 18 inches away. Makes a good grab handle on the inside if you use two tight cam straps. I did this on my 18 footer and love it. The four handles are adequate for a 15 footer.
Did the same, except I put handles on the inside of the bow. One d-ring in the center of the bow.
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2013   #4

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Bought a Zephyr last fall and had them add inside bow and stern D-rings, but that is all. Sometimes I think it would be handy to have a handle on the bow and stern but most of the time the four standard handles are enough. I didn't add any additional D-rings to the sides. I use 1 1/2 straps to hold the frame and call it good.
Fash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013   #5

billings, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Send a message via Yahoo to mttodd
Ordered mine new in 2010 and added bow and stern inside d rings, also added extra bow and stern handles. Use the handles a lot, great for stacking boats. If you do order one, spring for the urethane coating on the floor. It should be standard, but was not when I ordered mine. The coating has saved the floor from multiple abrasions that would definitely would have punctured it otherwise. I also had an extra urethane layer on the bottom of the tubes, but they really aren't necessary. Looks cool when its upside down though!
mttodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013   #6

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mttodd View Post
Ordered mine new in 2010 and added bow and stern inside d rings, also added extra bow and stern handles. Use the handles a lot, great for stacking boats. If you do order one, spring for the urethane coating on the floor. It should be standard, but was not when I ordered mine. The coating has saved the floor from multiple abrasions that would definitely would have punctured it otherwise. I also had an extra urethane layer on the bottom of the tubes, but they really aren't necessary. Looks cool when its upside down though!
Do you have a sense for how much the urethaned floor increased the overall weight of the boat?
Fash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013   #7

out west, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by mttodd View Post
If you do order one, spring for the urethane coating on the floor. It should be standard, but was not when I ordered mine. The coating has saved the floor from multiple abrasions that would definitely would have punctured it otherwise. I also had an extra urethane layer on the bottom of the tubes, but they really aren't necessary. Looks cool when its upside down though!
Absolutely not necessary on both parts.
brasscap is offline   Reply With Quote