Maravia vs Sotar ?'s - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-14-2013   #1

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: 2000
Maravia vs Sotar ?'s

Pretty sure i'm starting a Ford/Chevy debate and everyone will defend the boat they own but here goes anyway. I am looking at buying an 18 ft diminished tube boat. I know 18 ft is huge and more than needed most places but I have access to smaller rafts when needed. I want a huge party boat and gear hauler for my own reasons.

I have pretty much narrowed it down to a Maravia Maestro or a Sotar SL Liquid. I have seen a few Sotar with lots of floor patches in the pics
(even one here on the swap) My Aire has been over some sharp stuff and I cant find marks let alone a rip or tear si that makes me worry a bit. I don't like the knuckle system for thwarts on Maravia as well as Aire or Sotar but I am sure it works great or they wouldn't use it. Sotar will make about anything on your boat like chafe strips and such. Maravia doesn't offer them as far as I can tell and maybe they aren't needed with the urethane but it seems Sotar has a little more flexibility in some options. I just have never been around Sotar boats. Maravia seems rock solid when I see them.

Like I said any REAL help is greatly appreciated. Any issues you have seen with either brand would be helpful. Still probably going to come down to a flip of the coin as both are probably great rafts. Thanks!

mtfunfloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2013   #2

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtfunfloater View Post
Still probably going to come down to a flip of the coin as both are probably great rafts.
Better have that coin polished and ready to go.
Old 07-14-2013   #3

Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1984
Wow you really want to start something! LOL They are both great boats. SOTAR is great at customizing boats, as you know. What I have noticed is the bow and stern rise is a bit more pronounced on a Maravia, that might improve maneuverability but reduce tracking. People who owned both have confirmed that. I am a SOTAR person but that is because I live close to their production facility. I think both are really well made boats and would be hard pressed to say one is more durable. I have no floor patches on my SOTAR and I have taken it over sharp stuff with lots of beginner rowers. Take a good look at those Warranties that could shift the decision. The Maravias are much harder to roll up but if you don't store your boat that way it is not an issue. SOTAR has been fantastic to work with but I'll bet the Maravia folks say the same thing. good luck
rivers2run is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2013   #4

Lincoln City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
I have had both flavors over the years. No Regrets with either long term (10+ years) purchase. Depending on geography for service and personal preference of customization you are on a great path. This decision is driven by details and $$$ for me. I typically narrow the process as you have, then shop for price and warranty. Rarely does the brand, overcome individual unit performance when buying this level of quality. $.02 rowing them both may influence your decision. Great fun Enjoy !!
mrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013   #5

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I will watch this thread with interest, as I am in the same spot. Only difference is that I want a smaller raft. I have owned several Maravia catarafts, and have many friends who row and love Maravia rafts. Well made boats with a 10 year warranty. Sotar has more size and option choices. The Sotar SL design is very appealing to me. Light weight and supposed to handle well. I can customize the Sotar the way I want, and the fall 20% off sale makes the price a plus. Things to consider. I have little first hand knowledge about Sotar, but they seem to have a strong following.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013   #6

Great Falls, Montana
I was catching up on the threads from a while back on this issue as well

The multiple accts of pinholes in the floor on Maravia worries me a little. Is the floor not urethane coated? I know the rolling for storage may be an issue for this. Are there any floor issues with the Sotar?

I know they both track a bit different but I cant believe its something you cant get used to either way.

Sotars 6 yr warranty vs 10 for Maravia may be a difference maker as well

Anyone have any issues with the bolt on thwart system when using as a paddle setup?
Old 07-14-2013   #7

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I believe the drop stitch floors are PVC, not urethane. You can get a drop stitch floor in a Sotar at no extra charge as long as it's a standard, not custom size raft. My general understanding is that I-Beam floors track better, and drop stitch turn/spin better. I have been told that the SL design with a shorter waterline and continuous curve handles and maneuvers quicker than a standard design raft, making the floor less of an issue. The SL design has more interior room, but overall weight carrying capacity is less because of the diminishing tubes.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013   #8

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Anyone have any issues with the bolt on thwart system when using as a paddle setup?[/QUOTE]

I take my thwarts in and out all the time on my little boat and its fairly easy once you figure it out. As far as pinholes go I think they have that figured out. My floor holds air as it should in my big boat.

The Maestro is a BEAST at 8'6 wide with 25" diminished tubes! Thats as wide as you can haul without a wide load sign.

An 18' boat tracks no mater what kind of floor you have. I will say the maravia floors are sweet, my boat moves nicely even when loaded.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013   #9

Great Falls, Montana
The SL design has more interior room, but overall weight carrying capacity is less because of the diminishing tubes.[/QUOTE]

Both rafts i'm looking at are dimished tubes Sotar 26-20 and Maravia 25-18. I cant find the weight rating on either site. The Aire site list weight capacity but they don't have a diminished tube 18 ft boat. I am sure both will carry more than enough weight for my needs though!
Old 07-14-2013   #10

Great Falls, Montana
The Maestro is a BEAST at 8'6 wide with 25" diminished tubes! Thats as wide as you can haul without a wide load sign.[/QUOTE]

I think all the 18 ft boats are 8 ft wide so 6 inches isn't really any issue I don't think except finding a trailer to haul. Need a car hauler like you got I guess. That big of a boat, they are all beasts! impossible to load by yourself without a roller on back or a winch