Maravia Delamination?? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-07-2013   #1

washington DC, Washington, D.C.
Paddling Since: 06
Maravia Delamination??

I have a 14ft Maravia that I believe is from 1998 that I bought used from an outfitter. After I took off the river yesterday, I flipped the boat over to take a look at the floor and bottom of the tubes. Although everything looked fine, I pushed down on the tube at the front corner of the boat. It felt like there was space between the rubber and some inner layer of about a quarter inch. It feels like there was an inner layer that had separated from the outer rubber but only in an area about twice the size of my open hand.

Does anyone have any experience withe this? Is this a major problem that will lead to boat failure?

Thanks!

gstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2013   #2

NorCal, California
Paddling Since: 91
Yes they had a problem with this in the 90's, I thought a little earlier then the late 90's. Once this starts it goes fairly quiclkly, sorry to be the bearer of bad news and hope I'm wrong. The company almost went out of business, they were based out of CA at the time, to this day they dont sell many boat in CA or OR. They also used to glue their seems and these sometimes blew out catastrophically

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstone View Post
I have a 14ft Maravia that I believe is from 1998 that I bought used from an outfitter. After I took off the river yesterday, I flipped the boat over to take a look at the floor and bottom of the tubes. Although everything looked fine, I pushed down on the tube at the front corner of the boat. It felt like there was space between the rubber and some inner layer of about a quarter inch. It feels like there was an inner layer that had separated from the outer rubber but only in an area about twice the size of my open hand.

Does anyone have any experience withe this? Is this a major problem that will lead to boat failure?

Thanks!
Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013   #3

NE, Oregon
I'm unfamiliar with delamination issues after they switched over to thermo welding in 1987.

Could the ureathane coating have "blistered" away from the base fabric? Haven't seen this on a Maravia but other boats I have

If your boat is of the vintage you think it is, it will have a serial number stamped on the inside of the stern, the last two digits indicating year of manufacture

Quote:
to this day they dont sell many boat in CA or OR.
My personal obervations suggest otherwise, Maravias are very well represented on the rivers I float in Oregon. Can't speak for CA rivers, haven't bagged one of those yet
Willie 1.5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2013   #4

Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1984
I had a SOTAR that delaminated it formed a good size bubble. I took it to SOTAR and they said the boat was finished. They gave me a really good deal on a new one so I was very satisfied with the outcome. The company that made the fabric is not the one they use now and the delam days are over. It also nearly destroyed SOTAR so both companies have had issues. I live in Oregon I bought SOTAR because they are local if I was in Boise I would likely buy Maravia, or Aire they are good companies.
rivers2run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013   #5
Sponsoring Vendors

Danville, California
Paddling Since: 1970
Willie is correct - this is a blistering of the urethane away from the base pvc material, and it probably happened for one of two reasons: the outfitter set it down on some very hot blacktop, or the boat was drying off upside down and that area became very hot from the sun. Which is how a rental customer bubbled one of our rental Maravia's on one occasion.
It is a different than when the old Sotars delaminated, which is a rather hopeless situation indeed. With your Maravia, 98% of the air retention is via the base pvc material, not the urethane outer coating. Talk with Maravia or Zack at Raftfix, but I am pretty sure you can very carefully trim away the blister (maybe with some fingernail scissors?), wash the area with MEK - if you can still find any - and apply some new liquid urethane.
My only concern would be that in washing the area after the blister is removed, the MEK could get under the edge of where you trimmed and create a ring-shaped area that also delam's. In any case, the boat is not a loss so don't despair too much,
theBoatPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013   #6

washington DC, Washington, D.C.
Paddling Since: 06
No delamination

So, I took my boat to Inflatable Technologies and they told me that I was just feeling the baffle inside the boat. IT told me that the baffles in Maravias are very loose and that if there is a pressure differential, one will feel the baffle bulging into the portion of the tube with less pressure. I think he is right.

Thanks for all of the posts.
gstone is offline   Reply With Quote