Making a camp table - need help - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-03-2018   #1

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1987
Making a camp table - need help

I want to make a camp table with a frame and legs out of 1” EMT pipe. My question is what pipe slides over 1” EMT and fits tightly? The legs rotate around the frame on this piece.

Attached is a photo of a river table where the legs fold out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B947D8EC-C240-474A-98F8-E01A94B1E62A.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	1,014.2 KB
ID:	30997  

unlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2018   #2

Central Point, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlucky View Post
I want to make a camp table with a frame and legs out of 1” EMT pipe. My question is what pipe slides over 1” EMT and fits tightly? The legs rotate around the frame on this piece.

“Top rail” on chain link fence.
Whitewater Worthy Equip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018   #3
Never enough free time

Red Lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 1998
As a general public service announcement...

Yo can search online for the material in question and get both an inside diameter and outside diameter.

For example: Conduit Size

I just googled EMT OD. This comes in handy quite often. When I built my frame I wanted to make it a breakdown, so I looked up the ID of 1 1/4" schedule 40 aluminum pipe and then just ordered a 2' chunk of the correct size round stock and drilled it out myself.

NRS breakdown side rail are $300 and I built mine for well under $100. That included the tube, pin stock, stainless hardware, and a new drill bit.

Post a picture of your table when you get it done, I love this stuff
MontanaLaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2018   #4

Jenks, Oklahoma
For many years now I have looked for the perfect lightweight table for

my style of rafting. Including making my own tables. I have several tables stored in the boat shed.

I think it was last year that I purchased one of WW Worthy's new style aluminum table. Works great, worth the price to me.

other than being a customer, no other connection to WW Worthy. I do think their new table is exactly what I have been looking for.

Nothing against making your own gear, just passing on my experience looking for my kind of raft / camping table.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018   #5
Pieter Porcupine

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
You might consider posting this on the DIY thread. Lot's of people doing this sort of thing there.
Old 06-14-2018   #6
Gary F

Philipsburg, Montana
Paddling Since: 1984
instead of a tube over the main tube I actually welded small hinges. One of my tables is very light, maybe too light. THe other is slightly heavier though stronger. The other one uses a similar set up as you are suggesting. I used thin wall tubing as it was the cheapest stuff. I just paint it. I used that over conduit because I was planning on welding it all together. The plating is poisonous when burned. The plating needs to be ground off for welding so a lot of extra work. The main table part is aluminum riveted on one of the tables and on the others, I tack welded galvanized sheet metal. Granted, the galvanized is also poisonous when burned but I only tacked them on so I was not making sustained passes. I actually like the galvanized table top better as the aluminum oxidizes and turns everything black. On another table I riveted the galvanized top on. That one turned out good like that. On the table top that I tacked on, I was being lazy in terms of welding tabs on and drilling holes for the rivets. I have made a bunch of different ones over the years for presents. Funny thing is they all turn out different
kokoroltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018   #7

Cody, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlucky View Post

The piece you are asking about is a rigid coupling. Rigid is threaded schedule 40 pipe. google "RGS conduit"

If that is 1" (maybe 3/4") you have a 1" rigid coupling slid over 1" EMT with another piece welded to it.
outdrman is offline   Reply With Quote