MadCatr tomato sticks! - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-02-2017   #1

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Paddling Since: 2013
MadCatr tomato sticks!

So Dave had my frame done and I was all paid up in November 2016 but with life, work, and a really rough winter it's literally taken this long for me to get down to the Tri Cities in WA to pick it up. The times when I had a chance on a weekend Snoqualmie pass was always piss poor to borderline conditions which I felt just wasn't worth it (yes, hard to believe!). And with the winter we've had the boating conditions haven't exactly been stellar either (or so I was telling myself anyways). So I finally got around this weekend to getting the frame. Did an overnighter in Kennewick with the family. About a 6 hour one way drive down with the border crossing from the Lower Mainland in BC. Apparently I'm Dave's first direct Canadian frame customer?

I don't know how else to say it but this: Dave could be selling welded aluminum and powder/clear coated tomato sticks - I don't even grow tomatoes - and I'd buy some from him lol. It was an pleasure! (He doesn't sell these, yet lol).

The frame was everything I thought it would be and more. Going through it with Dave you can really see the level of thought and detail that goes into his designs and worksmanship. He gave me all sorts of little tips and things to remember that will aid me down the line, some with stories of himself and others to reinforce the development that has gone into it showing how important him being a solid boater has gone into his frames. He is also a great guy and a pleasure to talk to. He has a good sense of humour and really one of those guys who would fit onto just about anyone's week long (or more) boating trip!

He has a year long (or more) wait list and there is a reason for it. I knew this going in and he delivered (and more). I'm really looking forward to getting out on the water very soon, can't wait!

OH and you're never going to believe this - I ACTUALLY got to see a Canyon Whitewater Frame from you know who - I actually touched it, it was real, and not a figment of my imagination or a picture. Dave has one that he was doing a minor mod on for someone.

Advertisement

Old 04-02-2017   #2
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
He's a great fella, I met him at a local club meeting a few months ago. We had some friends pick up a frame from him that night too, they were pretty stoked.
Old 04-03-2017   #3

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
Wait till Great Wall hears this. Everyone knows this is not true. There is no way that one of his frames would need a modification. And if by some chance it did, no one on this planet would be able to perform such work other than North West Pacific River Inflatable Canyon Entity.
curtis catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2017   #4

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Good one Curt haha 😆

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Old 04-07-2017   #5

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1491587565.856585.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	16658 New living room furniture (until the weekend) lol

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Old 04-07-2017   #6

Rivertown, West Virginia
I want to see that frame up on those New tubes when you get it ready. Looks real nice. Dave Mad Car builds some quality.
Old 04-07-2017   #7

Rivertown, West Virginia
Cat not car!
Old 04-07-2017   #8

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Dave builds great stuff, and equally importantly, is a good guy and runs a good business. I've greatly enjoyed working with him on my frame, and on a later addition, and enjoy our phone talks.

Even if the "other guy's" frame were equally good (and reports indicate that, although frequently vaporware, when actually seen it's pretty nice), that's only one small part of the entire equation. Timeliness, honesty, and integrity (eg. not posting a Madcatr frame for sale on CL using a different Madcatr frame (mine) in the ad) matter a lot too.

Jon
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017   #9

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
I don't intend this to be a comparison thread, nor do I hope I'm coming across with bias even though I just got the frame and am quite proud of it, but when I look at Dave's frames everything makes sense. Every bar, every bend, every piece of tube has a place and reason behind it and why it is the way it is. It also "flows" really well - you could say it has some good "fung shui" or symmetry behind it so it looks good too. I can see some evolution as a boater as well as others feedback having gone into the current design of his frames just based on when he goes through it with you and explains how it. Just noticed something the other day when going to mount the seat to the rear removable jump seat bracket that Dave built me for my frame - The contact patch where the seat bracket meets the rear outer tube when I choose to mount the seat/bracket - he put a strip of that clear film (3M? or similar?) on mating surface of the bracket to protect the powder/clear coat. His welds are pretty good - more about pragmatic penetration & strength than about having a pretty boy weld but still not bad IMHO. He will tell you when he meets you that he uses a 1960's welder and an old but proven tube bender. His oar tower design, with the folding oar towers, and adjustability, combined with the 3 point reinforcement is simply brilliant IMHO.
Old 04-07-2017   #10

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Sweet! That was exactly our reaction when we first picked up a frame. And now he has that sweet shop!

Congrats on the new baby, have a hoot!