Madcatr Frame Questions? Help please! - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-24-2019   #1

Spokane, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
Madcatr Frame Questions? Help please!

Im on the list with Dave Nissen and a hopeful build date sometime this April. I was wondering if you prefer the custom combo delux foot bar, or the basic footbar without toe holds? I will be using this frame on an AIRE 14 foot Wave Destroyer, with a potential to be used later on a 12.5 Sotar Legend. I will be running class 3/4 with maybe a 5 if the skills ever get there. Most of my runs will be day trips but want the room to haul gear on multi-day trips and passengers on day trips. I have 9.5 foot oars and will be somewhere between 34 and 36 inches between the tubes, 71 inches between the oar locks and a length between 64.5 and 68.5 inches. I was wondering what kind of dimensions you guys are running for this size of boat, and style of boating, thanks! Any information would be greatly appreciated!

riverjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2019   #2

9' oars would be better suited
spencerhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019   #3

Spokane, Washington
My 9.5 foot oars include the blade, gotta stick with that size, they dont feel too long for me, and I use them when rowing my AIRE 156D. I know a guy who runs 10 foot oars on the same size boat and loves them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2019   #4

Seattle, Washington
the toe loops are THE feature, IMO, on Madcatr frames. absoltuely love 'em. add an uncushioned tempress seat and you are locked into the cockpit like no other frame.

Don't forget to factor in the extra tube diameter of modern cats vs modern rafts. I run my 12'6" legend tubes with a 32" interior width. 65" oarlock to oarlock, 9' oars.

FWIW, that gives me roughly the same outside width (88") and oar tower placement as is standard on most 14' rafts, even though many comment my frame is too narrow.

I've rowed these tubes with a 40" interior width frame (Dave's stock standard it seems) and it's gawdawful.
slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019   #5

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
Get the toe loops, you will like them! I don't have a Mad Cat frame, but l build them into my own frames and they are sweet!!!
Old 03-25-2019   #6

Most of these dimensions depend on what type of boating your doing.
For a 12'-6 Sotar, 36" between tubes and 71" between oar towers sounds huge. Ok on big wide rivers but a bit clumsy on tight stuff. On a 12', I run 31 between tubes and 61 between oar towers, but I like narrow tight creeking. I'll use 9' oars on the Grand (leave in a week!!!) but run 7'-6" on Clear Creek. These lightweight cats take nothing to spin them so not a lot of leverage is needed. YMMV
Rich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019   #7

Arnold, California
Madcatr Frame Questions? Help please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverjunky View Post
My 9.5 foot oars include the blade, gotta stick with that size, they dont feel too long for me, and I use them when rowing my AIRE 156D. I know a guy who runs 10 foot oars on the same size boat and loves them.

I run 9 on my 156D. 10 was too long. Maybe 9.5 would be OK or maybe I could put Sawyer blades on Cataract shafts for 93
Old 03-26-2019   #8

Spokane, Washington
Thanks for all the great info guys, for now this frame will end up on a 14 foot wave destroyer considering I already own the tubes. Being that I have 9.5 foot oars I will be around 70 inches between the oar locks, sounds like 34 inches between the tubes would do me better than going wider. How long of frame are you guys running? I would like to be able to haul gear for mulitday or take my kinds on daytrips. I run bigger rivers, not a creeker here. Thanks!
Old 03-28-2019   #9

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1976
I have 14' Sotar ST tubes with 41" between the tubes, 68" to the oarlocks. My oars are 9'8". I like the width, and it handles well, but I don't run many creeks. The frame has a nice footbar/toebar and I recommend that as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1331.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	33615  
weekendalpinist is offline   Reply With Quote