Looking for raft for Class IV / V - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-29-2016   #1

Placerville, California
Looking for raft for Class IV / V

I and three buddies are looking to purchase a raft best suitable for Class IV and possibly V runs. I know that some outfitters use Hysides in my area, though from a guide's perspective, they seem to be a bit too high off the water at the stern for my tastes. I know that Aires are good in Class III but have done a couple in IV, seem harder to control in technical water. I'm wondering if anyone here has any suggestions. I have done Hysides and Aires from some guiding experience, but never Maravias. Some say Sotar SLs are good. Is high rocker better than lower? Diminished tubes better than non? For technical water? It will be used as a paddle boat, preferably for four to five people. Also fabric, I have heard that Aire fabric is better than Hyside, Sotar better than Maravia. Kind of wondering on that, too.

Marcus H.

Marcus27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2016   #2

Monte Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
Looking for raft for Class IV / V

I would be worried a little more about the ability of the rower, not the raft being used.

Also...communal purchases seldom end well..,

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
SLVCampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016   #3

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Good Question by the OP. I've often wondered about how performance changes from raft to raft. Who knows what the US national team uses?
Tyrrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2016   #4

Monte Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrrache View Post
Good Question by the OP. I've often wondered about how performance changes from raft to raft. Who knows what the US national team uses?

What does that matter?

I am sure they use different rafts for different conditions and situations...it varies.

Beyond that, they all have the skill, and ability, to row each raft as they want to row it.

SLVCampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016   #5

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVCampo View Post
What does that matter?

I am sure they use different rafts for different conditions and situations...it varies.

Beyond that, they all have the skill, and ability, to row each raft as they want to row it.

What does it matter what raft professional rafters use when trying to conquer class IV and V rapids? I believe that is the entire purpose of the thread.

Yes, a person or a group of people's ability to row is way more important than the rig they are in. But to sit there and say an AIRE puma handles the same in a particular rapid than an RMR Storm is just remedial.

Straight from SOTAR's website; STís have a relatively consistent tube diameter throughout the circumference of the boat. For years this has offered a pretty dry ride, significant lift when exiting large hydraulics, and, when combined with our I-beam floor it has a very predictable level of tracking.

That seems to me like rafts are designed with different performance expectations in mind. So back to the original discussion; What rafts are better suited for more technical rafting (i.e. class IV and above rapids) and why?
Tyrrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016   #6

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVCampo View Post
I would be worried a little more about the ability of the rower, not the raft being used.

Also...communal purchases seldom end well..,

+1. Saying things like one company is more capable than another is too loaded. There are several "Top of the line" manufacturers including Hyside and Aire and Sotar and they all make different models for different purposes. If you want to know about design, sticking with a rocker vs non-rocker type of question will suit you better. You will see all models of every company running all classes based on the skill and needs of the rowers.

I'm partial to Aire boats so watch this video and let me know if you think Aires can handle class V
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016   #7

SeaTown, NW
i think the only real solution is to buy a boat from P.r.o because they are the only true legit boat on the market.

Enough with being a smart ass. As many stated it depends on the rowing skills. I am of the opinion Aire, Maravia, Sotar are among the elite brands, but that is just my opinion
nastysauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
First off guys, it's called PADDLING when you use paddles.

All the well known manufacturers make good boats and they make a variety of styles. If you looking for a paddle raft for running tech water with 4 dudes, you can eliminate certain types of rafts. For instance, very wide boats, boats with really big tubes, big rocker is nice if your sitting on a frame in the middle of the boat but not so much if you are in the guide seat, anything with less than three thwarts because imo foot cups suck, weight could be an issue for hiking...
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016   #9

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
Maravia Spider. </thread>

Unless your looking for the class 5 rated scadden boats! hehehe.
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016   #10
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
The US National Team uses Saturn like all the pro teams. For Class V I wouldn't trust anything less.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class iv