Looking for a new River Wing - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-08-2018   #1

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
Looking for a new River Wing

What do you have, and what do you wish you had? I have been using a large noah's tarp, but I don't love the shape of it. looking at the NRS wing, and the Rendezvous 200 from CRG, but thought I remembered seeing a post that a buzzard made some and that they were quite well received.

Let me know!
-Thomas
Fruita, CO

T.O.Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2018   #2

Seattle, Washington
I have and quite like the MSR Zing.

I've had kitchen, fire, and 3 tents set up with it, you could get out of your tent under the tarp, was like having a living room with attached bedrooms.

I switch to a 16oz caternary cut 10x12 if party size is <4.

don't want anything different, those cover my needs great.
slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018   #3

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
I have the MSR zing and really like it. I can put it up by myself and have enough oars if i'm on a solo trip. The dragon fly tarps look awesome and they make them bigger than the zing.. They cost a lot for the one I want but if money where not an issue I would go that direction. On my last trip we also had a big duck 2 this is an awesome shelter but you need 5 oars and that many people to get it set up. not good if you go on small trips or would use it in other settings.
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2018   #4

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Dragonfly tarps out of Arco, Idaho makers the bomber unit. I have the 18x20 and the thing is awesome. Had it up in some very stout winds and am very impressed. Really long straps with these perfect roller cams on them. Yes it is pricey, but I split the cost with one of my crew and there you are. And you should look at the classified's at the Big Agnes shade thing. Big Agnes makes good stuff from all I've heard and the price seems ok as well.
jamesthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018   #5

I've had the MSR Rendezvous 200 for the last few seasons I picked up on sale. No issues but it was my first wing and I didn't want to spend hundreds more. Only knock for river use would be that it didn't come with better stakes for sand, so had to remedy that. Corner pockets work fine for oars to augment the poles. Wish the storage bag was a a bit better, I just use a dry bag now and the poles and stakes in another bag. nit-pick but those are things I changed. Used it a bunch on Cat a couple weeks ago and it was great in the wind with some toughstakes.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018   #6

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
I made these to attach to the ridge ends on the MSR. just a ring that is double wrapped with p-cord. they slide over the oar handle for a snug fit and work great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	W9DcDdXjYiYkU10JnVyPbz1BMBkbjYq4TGfAUfT5NuQpX92IB.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	31633  
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018   #7

Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
I’m in a similar camp (pun intended) and looking for a river tarp. I’m curious about the Luxe Hiking Gear Batwing: https://luxe-hiking-gear.com/product...ghtweight-tarp

The price is good and I like the idea of the reflective side for hot, sunny desert trips. I cannot seem to find much information about them online. Does anyone have experience with these?
waterbob83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018   #8

Central Point, Oregon
https://www.whitewaterworthy.com/pro...-tarp-shelter/
Whitewater Worthy Equip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018   #9

Caldwell, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1984
One more for the Dragonfly.
Bobvandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018   #10

little rock, Arkansas
I have the Rendezvous 200. It's okay, but if you get one immediately replace the guy lines as they are inadequate. I read this in reviews before I purchased and have personally found it to be true. Looks to me like the Luxe wing would be as good as the Rendezvous at a lower price point, but in fairness to MSR the Rendezvous comes with two very nice poles and a set of Cyclone stakes (I found those to also be inadequate in most types of ground but they're great for other stuff and hey, they're Cyclones).

You might also consider a really big flat tarp. They're drum tight and bomber in a ridge line pitch between two oars, trees or poles with the sides guyed out. The disadvantage to that configuration is you lose some visibility when sitting under it compared to a wing shelter, which is a greater concern with a large group. OTOH, I'm 6' and can walk the entire length of if without stooping. Just something else to consider.
lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote