Looking for a new cooler - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-13-2016   #1

Grass Valley, California
Paddling Since: 1995
Looking for a new cooler

Probably been hashed over here a lot- but I am needing a new cooler. My old Igloo is just not holding ice as well as it did.
Yeti's look great- but- holy crap$$$$$$
Any thoughts on the other brands- Grizzly, Black Rock etc?

Any experience with the updated and heavy duty version of the Igloo?

Considering my old Igloo made it 13 years with me sitting on it as a seat for the last 10 on my boat, should I just buy another one of those and continue good cooler management?

Looking for any and all suggestions.

Thanks.

fcpnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2016   #2

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
what size are you looking for? Are you looking for an inexpensive replacement like your igloo or a rotomolded tough guy?

Yes you were right. The cooler debate has gone on and on here. Type cooler into the search engine and you will see a lot of previous discussions. Doesn't hurt to ask though. If you have a specific model and brand it will be easier to find someone selling one.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016   #3
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I own a Grizzly 75 cooler, and a Pelican 65 cooler, they both perform similarly. (grizzly was better priced though) I don't have any experience with other roto molded coolers. friends have Yetis but my coolers hold ice just as long as theirs do. we're all dumping ice at the end of a main salmon trip. Really, I think just pick something that fits your boat well, and is in your price range. I'm sure others have scientific proof of how theirs is better or something though.
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2016   #4

Fort Fun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
I just got a black rock 150 for my 16'er. My first trip it held ice for over 8 days. Granted, it wasn't a baking summer trip but I was very impressed. Given how much ice I had left over I would say it would have held for another week with good cooler mgt.
trevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016   #5

Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
RTIC Coolers
paddleskirepeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016   #6

Grass Valley, California
Paddling Since: 1995
Thanks for the replies. Hard to part with the $$ for some of the top end stuff. The RTIC- a lot of bad press..... But thanks.

Not sure if I just want to get the standard Igloo- and a spare latch kit, or save up for one of the more expensive coolers.

Thanks again.
fcpnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016   #7

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcpnorman View Post
Thanks for the replies. Hard to part with the $$ for some of the top end stuff. The RTIC- a lot of bad press..... But thanks.

Not sure if I just want to get the standard Igloo- and a spare latch kit, or save up for one of the more expensive coolers.

Thanks again.
What bad press have you read about rtic? I have a 65 and it's just as good if not better (real dimensions) than any Yeti.

I just did a search as well and found nothing but glowing reviews. They had some shipping issues to start but that's expected when you're selling a Yeti for 50% off and Yeti sues any new company that starts selling rotomolded coolers
ColoradoBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016   #8
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I think he means the bad press about them ripping off Yeti's design, etc. (there is a lot of crap flowing around the facebook ad's that RTIC is running, with people bitching about that) - free market though. they look similar, but are the actual capacity of the model #, unlike yeti, so not a real clone.
Old 06-14-2016   #9

Vancouver, BC
Paddling Since: 1985
Look at the Engel aswell. I have the 123 quarts, its grizzly bear proof, lid is rated for 300 lbs and it about $100 less than the Yeti.
Skitterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016   #10

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
If I didn't already have an older Canyon Sailor 105, I'd be all over this one. Hangs from cross bar & has strap slots. My experiences with Canyon Coolers has been very good over the years.
Canyon Cooler Prospector 103