Longtail motor on a raft? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-14-2017   #1

central, Oregon
Longtail motor on a raft?

I am exploring options for a motor and a mount for my 15.5' Achilles. The motor mount itself brings up a number of questions, and I have not been able to find a current thread here. Before I ask about that, i had a dangerous thought.

Has anyone ever seen or heard of or used a longtail motor on a raft? The way I see it, the motor could sit on top of the rear tube, not hang off the back of it. When not in use, the motor and prop would be removed and ride in a captains box ( or old cooler) and the drive shaft strapped to the frame. Shallows would not be a problem, the motor would be protected while running rapids, and a mount might be an easier fabrication because of where the motor weight is when in use.

What do you think?

for example:
Longtail Mud Motors. Authentic Thai Longtails - Mud-Skipper.com
Honda GX Series Horizontal OHV Engine 196cc, 3/4in. x 2 7/16in. Shaft, Model# GX200UT2QX2 | 121cc - 240cc Honda Horizontal Engines| Northern Tool + Equipment

Smoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2017   #2

central, Oregon
Wow, 3 days and not even a smart assed comment. I almost feel shunned.
Old 08-17-2017   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1901
I've thought about that but never tried it. The application I'd use that set up for would be to put in for Gore, fish down the flat water, and motor back up stream to the put in, never touching bottom / trespassing. I don't think the landowner would be amused, but I can only imagine the size of the hogs you'd find in there.
cuzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2017   #4

Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1980
We were thinking about using a motor for or Deso trip a few weeks ago. We abandoned the idea because the motor mount we borrowed ended up to high off the water for the length of my outboard shaft. At that point I thought one of those would be what you need.

I didn't realize the break down that easy in order to stow it.
Roguelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017   #5

portland, Oregon
Dang

Now that's something I want to try. Cheaper than a standard outboard by a longshot too! That would be great for long flatwater sections!
rhombocombus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017   #6

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1998
Looks like it's been done.... sort of.

I'm interested in hearing your results.
altaholics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017   #7
BCJ

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Mud Motor

Looks great but what about noise and manuverability?

Rafts I've owned (14'-16' Avons) took a long-shaft outboard just fine. Build your own motor mount. Do it in the garage with the raft on a trailer. Use the mud/water line on the boat as your guide to where to set the transom so the prop and anti-cavitation plate will be underwater. An inch or so below surface is enough. You can figure it out. Here's one that I built out of some spare DRE frame materials. Took a lot of time to measure it up and do all the pipe cuts, but I did that at home using a Makita chop saw, duct-taped the pieces together and took it to a metal shop to have it welded up. The welding is not too expensive - - you just have to do the design and, if possible, cutting work yourself. Especially the design. The shop charges by the hour - - if they have to stand around and "figure out" how to build what you've asked for it takes a LOT longer. If you just say "do these 6 welds where the tape is" it takes only minutes and they are gettin' after it. Something like this can be welded up in about an hour. (Maybe $60-80 bucks?) This one was more because I added the diamond plate top (which I also cut and notched). I think the welding on this was somewhere around $150.00. I had the pipe. The diamond plate was a scrap found at a steel and scrapyard business.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4515.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	21626  
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017   #8

Salt Lake City, Utah
I've read that the longtail mud motors don't push a load well. If you've got a loaded boat or multiple boats connected the longtail may not have enough to push the load efficiently. I've heard that they work best once the boat starts to plane out.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017   #9
BCJ

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Yah, I'm thinking there must be a reason I've never seen one being used to push rafts. Bottom line, it is hard to get a standard shaft outboard (usually 15" from transom to cavitation plate) to work on a raft. Long shaft (20") is best and Xtra long (25") is even better if you can afford it. After that, it's just spending the time and $ to get the mount right. Copied mine from one I saw in Cataract a couple decades ago.
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017   #10

central, Oregon
So I rolled the dice went and did it. Small kit from swamp runner, predator 212 motor from harbor freight, motor mount from recretec.

I took it to the reservoir last weekend for trials. Turns out it was highly maneuverable, at full throttle we hit 5.8mph, half throttle was 5.5mph and at about 1/3 throttle we were at 5.2mph. Easy to hold a conversation at half throttle and below. I had the frame, captains boxes, table/seat, cooler with PBR in the boat and a fellow boater.

Next time, we plan on taking 2 or 3 more rafts and loading them heavy to see how it pushes.