Lite propane cylinder recall - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-30-2013   #1

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Lite propane cylinder recall

Anybody know more about this?

The recall includes small sizes convenient for rafting, camping, and barbies: 10-pound, 20-pound, 25-pound, and 33-pound tanks.

http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/portal/site/PHMSA/menuitem.ebdc7a8a7e39f2e55cf2031050248a0c/?vgnextoid=7c7384ae997be310VgnVCM100000d2c97898RCR D&vgnextchannel=d248724dd7d6c010VgnVCM10000080e8a8 c0RCRD&vgnextfmt=print.

Here's the information on what to do:
http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/staticfiles/PHMSA/DownloadableFiles/Files/Hazmat/Emergency_Recall_Order_The_Lite_Cylinder_Company_I nc.pdf

Here's the link to the story about the recall:
http://www.lpgasmagazine.com/operational-failures-force-major-cylinder-recall/

Here's the link to the recall letter from the DOT:
http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/staticfiles/PHMSA/DownloadableFiles/Files/Hazmat/Lite_Cylinder_Company_Termination_Letter.pdf

Advertisement

Old 05-30-2013   #2

SMCanyon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I got an email today from Lite Cylinder about this recall. I just got my 10
#er filled for a trip and it says I have to make arrangements to have it emptied by qualified personnel. And how much will that cost I wonder?
kb52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #3
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I'll bet your "qualified" to grill for about ten hours!
Gremlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2013   #4

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb52 View Post
I got an email today from Lite Cylinder about this recall. I just got my 10
#er filled for a trip and it says I have to make arrangements to have it emptied by qualified personnel. And how much will that cost I wonder?
I just got one refilled two days ago. Sonofabitch. Hopefully not lite cylinder or subject to the recall

Do we get compensated if they destroy our cylinder
Old 05-30-2013   #5

portland, Oregon
From what I can tell its all lite cylinders. So me and my two buddies who own these are SOL? Almost certain the company is headed out of business. I hope the management gets lined up an fucking shot!!!

I have all my camp appliances run off of the cylinders now. Stove, burner, etc. WTF? Plus now have to replace my tank with a heavier one
Old 05-30-2013   #6

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
I just got one refilled two days ago. Sonofabitch. Hopefully not lite cylinder or subject to the recall

Do we get compensated if they destroy our cylinder
I'm wondering the same thing. I haven't heard from the company yet, but I'm going to be pissed if they don't do something for us. This is only my second season with mine. $100 (or whatever it cost) down the drain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
From what I can tell its all lite cylinders. So me and my two buddies who own these are SOL? Almost certain the company is headed out of business. I hope the management gets lined up an fucking shot!!!

I have all my camp appliances run off of the cylinders now. Stove, burner, etc. WTF? Plus now have to replace my tank with a heavier one
If you're willing to take another chance on a fiberglass tank, there's the Ragasco Clear View Propane Tank that NRS sells.
Fash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #7

portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fash View Post

I'm wondering the same thing. I haven't heard from the company yet, but I'm going to be pissed if they don't do something for us. This is only my second season with mine. $100 (or whatever it cost) down the drain.

If you're willing to take another chance on a fiberglass tank, there's the Ragasco Clear View Propane Tank that NRS sells.
I'm guessing unless lite can recertify the returned tanks, there is no recourse other than declare bankruptcy and disappear. Leaving us with the costs of returning them.

Ragasco, huh. Larger than my 10lb boat anchor.

I wonder if recalls are covered by their rock solid guarantee
Old 05-31-2013   #8

Denver, Colorado
Thanks for posting this. I'm in the same boat. Just filled, only used about 3 times and now it looks like scrap. On a related (backcountry.com thread) I might have to look at their no questions asked return policy at that is where I got mine from.
skipowpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013   #9

portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipowpow View Post
Thanks for posting this. I'm in the same boat. Just filled, only used about 3 times and now it looks like scrap. On a related (backcountry.com thread) I might have to look at their no questions asked return policy at that is where I got mine from.
I got mine from uhaul. I'm hoping either Rei, backcountry, or Nordstrom will let me return it
Old 05-31-2013   #10

Denver, Colorado
Just got an RMA and shipping label.
skipowpow is offline   Reply With Quote