Light pole - Mountain Buzz

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Light pole

I recently returned from a long trip where we cooked and washed dishes in the dark most nights. It was nice to have lights in the kitchen and not need to rely on headlamps. I would lash an oar to the table with a strap for a light pole to get the lights up higher for better illumination. I'm kinda lazy and I thought there had to be a be an easier way to set up the pole. When I got home I cut a hole in my table big enough to accomodate an oar. Just drop an oar through the hole and it's done. Since my tabletop is a sheet of aluminum, I trimmed the hole with vinyl tubing and hot glue so that the oar wouldn't get scratched. This is probably not necessary if your tabletop is plywood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Table 3.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	1,011.1 KB
ID:	40563   Click image for larger version

Name:	Table 1.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	2.05 MB
ID:	40565  

Click image for larger version

Name:	table 2.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	800.6 KB
ID:	40567  

Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Easy and simple, no extra baggage. Plus it works. I really like that idea. Thanks for sharing.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Not to mention its festive! Thanks for the idea.
Fly By Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
These work well also if you have a place to mount no thicker than 1" and do not have an spare oar handy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Naturehike-...AAAOSwjzldqT9N
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
we have used the light pole where the bugs where too bad to turn your head lamp on.. This streamlight electric lantern works awesome when you take the cap off..

https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-4...3674419&sr=8-4

cool idea with the hole in the table. that really simplifies things. we usually sandwich it between an cooler and a dry box..
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I think the oar might be too heavy if it were windy--wouldn't want it to tip my table.
I'd probably implement it with a thinner pole.
But I think it's an awesome solution, love the simple grommeted hole!
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1976
We used a Lucy solar string light for the kitchen on a recent GC trip and every kitchen crew loved it. Pretty easy to find places to hang the string from and the distributed lights are easy on the eyes. I like the idea of a hole in the table for a pole though; that would have been useful at a couple of camps.
weekendalpinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8

C. Springs, Colorado
The best pole I've found for night lighting is a tiki torch stick with a lit tiki torch on top of it.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post
The best pole I've found for night lighting is a tiki torch stick with a lit tiki torch on top of it. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_mrgreen.gif[/IMG]
How do you keep the tiki touch from leaking fuel all over while on the river?
Fly By Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #10

Jenks, Oklahoma
The hole in the table with an oar inserted is a great solution especially good for one of the large wooden outfitter type tables. I have one of the big outfitter tables and they are good to work off of but big and heavy for me to transport. I have switched to the roll up aluminum slat type tables because they are for me at least, easier to transport. Thanks to BigHorn's link, I ordered one of the very light weight clamp on poles which I think will work well for me on my roll up tables. Thanks to both Wadeinthewater and Bighorn for really good tips.
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote