Mountain Buzz banner

Light pole

4K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Wadeinthewater 
#1 ·
I recently returned from a long trip where we cooked and washed dishes in the dark most nights. It was nice to have lights in the kitchen and not need to rely on headlamps. I would lash an oar to the table with a strap for a light pole to get the lights up higher for better illumination. I'm kinda lazy and I thought there had to be a be an easier way to set up the pole. When I got home I cut a hole in my table big enough to accomodate an oar. Just drop an oar through the hole and it's done. Since my tabletop is a sheet of aluminum, I trimmed the hole with vinyl tubing and hot glue so that the oar wouldn't get scratched. This is probably not necessary if your tabletop is plywood.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
We used a Lucy solar string light for the kitchen on a recent GC trip and every kitchen crew loved it. Pretty easy to find places to hang the string from and the distributed lights are easy on the eyes. I like the idea of a hole in the table for a pole though; that would have been useful at a couple of camps.

#10 ·
The hole in the table with an oar inserted is a great solution especially good for one of the large wooden outfitter type tables. I have one of the big outfitter tables and they are good to work off of but big and heavy for me to transport. I have switched to the roll up aluminum slat type tables because they are for me at least, easier to transport. Thanks to BigHorn's link, I ordered one of the very light weight clamp on poles which I think will work well for me on my roll up tables. Thanks to both Wadeinthewater and Bighorn for really good tips.

#14 ·
Thanks for the great ideas on lights and poles guys!
I carry a set of 1" extension poles that I use with my River Wing - if I'm not using the wing, I pull them out and use them to hold Black Diamond LED lanterns. If the wing is up, I put up a couple of strings of ENO LED string lights.
Bug technique - if the bugs are awful, we don't put any lights in kitchen or sitting area - but a few feet away - close enough to cast light to see, but attract the bugs away.
Wadeinthewater - Carvedog is an old waterdog - he got you with that sly, "How do you get the blade thru the hole?" Watch him, he probably has sky hooks for sale...

#15 ·
Wadeinthewater - Carvedog is an old waterdog - he got you with that sly, "How do you get the blade thru the hole?" Watch him, he probably has sky hooks for sale...
;) I know. I expected him to come back with something more. The Buzz gets kinda dull this time of year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.