Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #12

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
How do you get the blade thru the hole?
Blade needs to be removed. I usually float with no blades in my spares in my big boat. Obviously wooden oars and squaretops will not work.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #13

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly By Night View Post
How do you keep the tiki touch from leaking fuel all over while on the river?
I put the tiki cans in a fat 50 cal ammo can. I sometimes dump them back into the fuel can before I pack them away, but if I'm in a hurry, I throw them in loaded and worry about the mess at the next camp. With a funnel you can refill them with whatever spilled out of them and is in the bottom of the ammo can. It sounds like a mess....and it is. Key to setting up tikis is to set up the hand wash station before you start.

I can fit up to 6 tiki can plus funnel and four sand stake holders in one ammo can. I have three 1 gallon fuel cans that fit perfectly in the fat 50 ammo cans. I get about 3 to 4 nights out of a gallon depending on how many tiki's I deploy per night.

For fuel I have gone to using diesel from the gas station. It puts out more smoke than the official fuel and I think does a better job of running the bugs off.

I took a couple of old chair bags and mated them together to make a really long bag to put the tiki torch sticks in.

At night I'll put three or so in the kitchen and 1 next to the dish washing station. Sometimes depending on the situation or camp site, I'll put a couple behind the circle of chairs for site lighting.

I can post some pictures of my set up if you want to see it.

I use those lifestyle white folding tables and drilled holes in all 4 corners to strap them to the boat. I put tikis in the table holes to light up the kitchen. Wally World sells these nifty sand stakes that you put in the ground to hold the tiki sticks for the one's I don't put in the table holes.

Usually at night the wind dies down on rivers like the Green and Colorado and the tiki's set the mood. If not I have a small backup ammo box full of various LED light strings. I call the box "back up plan A". Plan "B"....... where's your headlight???
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #14

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah
Paddling Since: 1980
Thanks for the great ideas on lights and poles guys!
I carry a set of 1" extension poles that I use with my River Wing - if I'm not using the wing, I pull them out and use them to hold Black Diamond LED lanterns. If the wing is up, I put up a couple of strings of ENO LED string lights.
Bug technique - if the bugs are awful, we don't put any lights in kitchen or sitting area - but a few feet away - close enough to cast light to see, but attract the bugs away.
Wadeinthewater - Carvedog is an old waterdog - he got you with that sly, "How do you get the blade thru the hole?" Watch him, he probably has sky hooks for sale...
DarrylH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #15

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrylH View Post
Wadeinthewater - Carvedog is an old waterdog - he got you with that sly, "How do you get the blade thru the hole?" Watch him, he probably has sky hooks for sale...
I know. I expected him to come back with something more. The Buzz gets kinda dull this time of year.