Lifespan of shark bit Magnum blades? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-04-2013   #1

Groveland, California
Lifespan of shark bit Magnum blades?

I now have two Cataract Magnum blades with pretty good shark bites. The break on both blades is large enough to expose the fiberglass reinforcement shank that runs up the middle.

I'm tempted to just cut/grind a smoother line in the break and create a nice "shoal cut" blade. I'm curious if once they get to the point that they start to break up they don't just disintegrate, especially if moisture is allowed into the center of the blade. Anyone have any experience with this?

HPMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2013   #2

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
My latest shark bite happened at the beginning of last season. Went the rest of that spring/summer with no issue. No further damage that I could see throughout the season. I did replace this season, but that was more because of want not need.
yesimapirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013   #3

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Gonna contact Cataract and see if they recommend JB weld or some other solution. I'd like to repair and keep as spares.

Got one this summer when I loaned to a friend and he tried to pull the oars in in a chute instead of just tossing the handles away and letting them rest on the sides of the boat

I've had this issue before with carlisles. At least with the magnums it appears there is enough material there to reconstruct something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2013   #4
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
I am done with the magnums, cracks happening at the top of the blade, went through 2 this season, im back with carlises
Old 09-04-2013   #5

Nosebleed, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinemnky13 View Post
I am done with the magnums, cracks happening at the top of the blade, went through 2 this season, im back with carlises

Ditto...mine cracked up by the shaft. Both of em. First time out. Catarac wouldn't do anything. Back to Carliles.
funrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013   #6
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
I just dont trust them, ready to take them off my spares
Old 09-05-2013   #7

Christopher Creek, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1969
5yrs on 4 magnum blades. MFS from the top in August 4 times, Verde 6-7 times, Salt 4 times and these are just the rocky runs. Down the MS, Selway, Dolores, Green, GC and others. Slammed the crap out of them multiple times. No issues yet.

To the OP: I would not trust a patched blade to hold up. If the break has lost too much of the power face to serve as a spare, it should be given museum status.

Does anyone really feel that terminal river equipment should last forever? I mean really, you wedge a oar blade in a rock with the weight of the raft and flow behind it; something is going to give. Good luck with the Carlilse blades holding up any better under those conditions.
fdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013   #8

Groveland, California
I have no complaints about the lifespan, they are over 4 years old and have been worked hard. Lots of low water, crabbed hard several times etc., so the damage is expected. Plus, I don't know if any of the other blades float...and I do like that.

I looked the blades over again, and didn't find any cracks up at the top of the blade, but did find a crack running up the middle of the blade from the bite. That one will be retired, the other shark bite(not nearly as bad) will be the spare and I only have to buy one blade. The $60 will seem like a good investment if it were to fail at the wrong time.

Has anyone ever broke a shank?
HPMG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark, blade