Let's talk paddles (not oars) - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 09-25-2013   #1
Raft N Ride

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1980
Let's talk paddles (not oars)

What do you paddle your raft with? I use an Aqua Bound Edge and actually use it as a guide stick. Has worked well for the last (2) seasons and I like the power, light weight, and ease of use (good entry / exit from the water, etc). I'm looking at getting a couple more paddles to go along with my Puma and while I can get the NRS paddles, I can also pro deal Aqua Bound and I like the Werner canoe paddles and their Guide Stick. I like the Sawyer, but it's a bit heavy to paddle all day, IMO.

I'm just curious if everyone out there is using the standard Carlisle and NRS paddles or if you enjoy something else. So, share your experiences.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2013   #2

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
I have a set of Carlisle, they are durable and cheap. If we lose one it does not break the bank to replace it.

I have paddled the NRS sticks and don't care for the feel of them. They seem heavier than the Carlisle and the river company I work for has had more issues with them bending fairly frequently under normal river customer use.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #3

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriBri1 View Post
The river company I work for has had more issues with them bending fairly frequently under normal river customer use.
That's interesting that you say that. The company I work at has tried both. I find that the NRS paddles don't bend, but will eventually shear off. The blades are also more brittle than the Carlisle paddles. The Carlisle shafts bend a lot, even with guest use, but the blades don't crack. The company is sticking with Carlisle because bent can still work fine for guests, while shattered blades not so much. I don't care which I use as a guide, so long as I pick out a straight one.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2013   #4

Carbondale, Colorado
I love my Aquabound edge paddle. It blows away the carlisle, the NRS has a dead feel to it, and the Werner guide sticks are nice, but not better than the aquabound, and werner blades wear down faster, especially at the squarish corners of canoe/raft paddles. And with the ridiculous AB pro-deal pricing, i'd say its a no brainer.
watermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #5

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
I use a longer 66" stick with a slightly oversized blade. I'm tall so I ride on the center of the stern with my feet anchored in at the thwart, with the paddle usually in the water below the angled tubes between the stern and side tubes. I also tend to go back and forth from the left to right. Extra length and blade provides reach and power. Some of my more averaged sized friends have a little trouble with the larger paddle, mostly due to leverage.
DoStep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013   #6
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
Cheap / Free. I tend to use what ever has fallen off the trailer, been left in the river or I found cheap at a garage sale, used sports store etc. If they have a name on them, I try to use that to return.

I have broken a number of nice sticks. When I dropped a nice paddle while heading down river, I was so worried about it, I would make mistakes.

I keep meaning to buy a wood paddle, but have not found the right one. I guess I could always make it myself.
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013   #7
Raft N Ride

Boise, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by climbdenali View Post
That's interesting that you say that. The company I work at has tried both. I find that the NRS paddles don't bend, but will eventually shear off. The blades are also more brittle than the Carlisle paddles. The Carlisle shafts bend a lot, even with guest use, but the blades don't crack. The company is sticking with Carlisle because bent can still work fine for guests, while shattered blades not so much. I don't care which I use as a guide, so long as I pick out a straight one.
Yea, same here. I merc with a couple companies and it's a mixed bag. The NRS sticks are stout compared to Carlisle but as you say, bent can still be used.
Old 09-26-2013   #8
Raft N Ride

Boise, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
I love my Aquabound edge paddle. It blows away the carlisle, the NRS has a dead feel to it, and the Werner guide sticks are nice, but not better than the aquabound, and werner blades wear down faster, especially at the squarish corners of canoe/raft paddles. And with the ridiculous AB pro-deal pricing, i'd say its a no brainer.
I hear ya on the pricing! I'll probably go with a new carbon Edge for myself and a FG Edge for my wife then retire my current Edge to the backup seat or when I'm guiding.