Lets talk about white rafts - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-10-2013   #1

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 2005
Lets talk about white rafts

Ok, I know this is going to be a very subjective topic but I am going to ask the question anyway. Is a white raft going to look like trash in a shorter amount of time than other colors?

I am getting an NRS E-140 and like the looks of the Gray (glorified off white). I can't help but wonder about how it will show wear.

I know, "don't be so superficial, go boating more, etc" but I am getting out of a raft that didn't last two years and want this purchase to be better thought out. I am just a kayaker that wants to have a family raft (paddle rafting and multi-days) for a long time without problems.

Cheers.

hialtitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013   #2

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
I bought an E-140 last year in red, and I'll be dammed if I don't see every scratch, nick and scuff. (I'm the only one that notices though) I spend a lot of time scrubbing off the frame marks, but that is about it. If you keep up on cleaning your boat it will look nice and new for a long time.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I own a white raft and frame residue is definitely more noticeable. BUT it won't get so hot in the sun! It will wear down no faster than any other color raft.
wsmckinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013   #4

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
You won't even notice after awhile. Well,you may notice but you probably won't care. Gives em character anyways. I have a bright white Legend and the off white(grayish) SD puma,and a white/gray Avon. They'll show,but I honestly don't think it's much worse than red or blue. I also (now) have chafe guards on my SDPuma,so you can go that route if your worried. I baby my Legend most of all,b/c it's the bright white one and over time will probably fade to a creamier white. Still looks great so far though. I 303 it a lot and store it indoors or under a tarp. You just have to get over it,they're all gonna look beat after a few years. Don't worry about it. Just take care of them after trips-wash,scrub,rinse and then store properly. They last just as long.
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013   #5

Evergreen, Co.
Paddling Since: 2000
I always think of this song when I see a white raft.

Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013   #6

Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmckinney View Post
I own a white raft and frame residue is definitely more noticeable. BUT it won't get so hot in the sun! It will wear down no faster than any other color raft.
I stand ready to be corrected. Humbly.

I think that outside of physical contact abuse, (abrasion, puncture, acid etc), raft material is degraded most by ultraviolet light. The strategy of a white material reflecting more of the visible light spectrum does not apply to direct ultraviolet exposure, (different wavelengths).
The heating of the fabric could be a whole new ball game.
It's even possible that your raft material could be weakened more by regular cleaning.
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013   #7

Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
White versus colored? I'll take colored. Oh, wait. That would be discrimination.
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013   #8

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
#whitepeopleproblems
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013   #9

Billings, Montana
We ran a 15 year old white Avon on the Gauley and it didn't look bad. A little boat cleaner and the frame scuffs come right out. Definitely better in the summer. I have a 2012 white Avon.
jwithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013   #10
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
[QUOTE=Bryan;302963]I always think of this song when I see a white raft.

Especially if its got numbers on the side and a flag and it's makin' big waves!
Gremlin is online now   Reply With Quote